Menu
Travelling advice for Guangdong
Apr 27, 2005 22:56
  • GAZ07
Hey,

In early May I'm planning on travelling to Guangdong and Guangxi provinces for about 2/3 weeks before crossing the border to Vietnam. I'd be grateful for any advice on where i should visit?

(I will have already visited Macau and Hong Kong)

Also, it would be nice to meet any locals from Guangdong or Guangxi.

Thanks for any advice.

(PS if your reading this kyle, WHATS UP!)
Apr 28, 2005 00:13
  • VIATURATI3
Hi! From Guangxi and living in Guangdong, I still find it hard to spend 2/3 weeks in these 2 provinces...
Dont take me wrong though, I do love them. But to a visitor they are not as fascinating as other remote areas in China.
In Guangdong I personally recommend 2 cities: Guangzhou and Chaozhou, both of which have well reserved traditional cultural events/sites to see.
As in Guangxi, I assume that you dont wanna miss the old Guilin. Take it part of your plan but if you prefer less touristic places, do not spend too much time in the city or west street (will see a lot of such stuff in Vietnam) - the rice terraces in Longshen, the Ling Canal in Xing'an and the minority groups as well as the Chengyang Bridge in Sanjiang are definitely worth a visit.

cheers,
yan
Apr 28, 2005 09:45
  • MERMAID
if you r interested in the Hakka's culture, you can go to Meizhou.
if you like traditional Lingnan culture, i would recommend Jiangmen, Foshan, where you can taste the genuine culture and food.
Apr 28, 2005 17:40
  • KYLE
Good to see you found the website man. Its great for all sorts of information. I also must mention there are a lot of people on hear who are willing to help you.

Hope to see you in Hong Kong, Im going to songkran you!

Kyle
Apr 30, 2005 13:28
  • GAZ07
Thanks to everyone who gave advice, it's much appreciated. I am also thinking about travelling the surrounding provinces, Yunnan and Guizhou. I have heard exceptional reports about Yunnan.

VIATURA - Along with Guillin "the city of landscapes" i've heard about a "city of dragons." Do you know anything of this and, if so, would you recommend it?

MERMAID - As a first time visitor to China, i'm not too familiar with Hakka or Lingnan, but i'll definately read up on it. Thanks.

KYLE - What's the word mate, you think you'll be coming to Hong Kong?

Been "saving" as much cash as possible for a few big nights if you can make it, but it isn't cheap. Let me help u out with some prices....

Dorm (2 beds/room) Accomodation (central) 750BHT/night
Dorm (dunno how many beds) Accomodation (tube ride away) 300BHT/night
Bowl of noodles 100BHT

A beer during happy hour (4-9pm usually) 150BHT+
Regular priced beer 250BHT+
a beer from 7/11 45BHT (blue ice, 500ml can)

Most things to see in the day here are either free.... hiking/exploring city.... theres museums etc too, i'm into art galleries, so theyre pretty cheap.

Anyways, i hope this helps you out.
Post a Reply to: Travelling advice for Guangdong
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code