Menu
What do you think, Yuanfang?
Nov 5, 2012 02:16
  • ZOEY
Long time no see! I’d like to share you a new popular Chinese cyber sentence “元芳,你怎么看?” It means “What do you think, Yuanfang?” in English.

Origin

Yuanfang’s full name is Li Yuanfang who is the assistant to Detective Di Renjie in the TV serials Detective Di Renjie. He is good at not only logic reasoning but also Kungfu. Every time detective Di deals with a case, he asks Yuanfang “What do you think, Yuanfang?” Yuan thinks about for a minute and answers “Based on my experience, I think there must be a big secret. My lord!” or “My lord, there must be something wrong in the case.” These two sentences are his standard answers to Di Renjie.

When did it become popular?

In October, 2012, some Chinese netizens added “元芳,你怎么看?” when they posted message on their Weibo. Immediately, this sentence has spread widely.

Mentioning this sentence, we had to talk about another case. On April 4, 2012 in Quanzhou, a broken foot suddenly fell down from the Panlong Building. The passers-by was shocked and called the police. A few minutes later, the police came and did on the spot investigation and then gave the conclusion. According to the police, the girl committed suicide by jumping from the 31 floor of the Panlong Building. Her left foot fell apart when his body hit the balcony on the second floor. However, another resident in the Panlong Building said he saw the girl’s head and her body disparted but there was no blood on the balcony.

If she fell on the balcony and her left was broken, some blood should be left on the balcony. Then some people doubted that the girl might be dismembered and thrown from the 31th floor. A netizen from Wuhan “invited” the Detective Di Renjie and his assistant Yuanfang to deal with this case.

Di Renjie: “What do you think, Yuanfang?”
Yuanfang: “Base on my experiences, I think she must have committed suicide. Firstly, she cut off her feet and then her hands….”

Di Renjie: “Ok, we suppose she committed suicide. But why did she commit suicide?”

Yuanfang: “My lord, I think she must be tired of life and decided to kill herself. ”

Di Renjie: “Ok, she could cut off her feet and left hand with her right hand easily. But how did she cut off her right hand?”

Yuanfang: “Well, she could fix the knife somewhere with her right hand. Then she cut off her right hand.”

Di Renjie: “I see. Her feet and hands were cut off. How could she cut off her head and jump off the window?”

Yuanfang: “My lord, I don’t know how she cut off her head. But I do know how she jumped off the building. She was pregnant. It was her baby who kicked her stomach and then she fell off the 31th floor. ”

Usage
People usually use this sentence to satirize some social phenomena.
Nov 9, 2012 21:34
GUESTJOE Yuan Fang: "There must be a trick in it."

I have to say if we were out of network, we are out of the trend. There is an updating glossary we need to follow every day.
Post a Reply to: What do you think, Yuanfang?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code