Menu
Why do you guys tattoo Chinese words on your body?
Nov 8, 2012 01:21
  • SUNNYDREAM
Occasionally, I haven noticed that some foreign people have tattooed Chinese words on their face, arms or back. I don’t know if they really know the meaning of the Chinese words.

How come they tattoo Chinese words on their body? To demonstrate that they look cool?

Nov 8, 2012 01:26
  • SUNNYDREAM
Does she really know the meaning of 雞? It can be chicken in English. But now this word has a derogatory meaning, which equals to *** or prostitute.

Nov 8, 2012 01:44
  • SUNNYDREAM
精忠報國, to serve one's country with unreserved loyalty.

I have no idea if he knows about the origin of this idiom. Yue Fei is a famous general in Southern Song Dynasty. Before he joined the army, his mom tattooed 精忠報國 at his back, hoping he could fight for his country loyally. He led his army to resist the Jin's invasion. Sadly, he was set up by Qinhui, a treacherous court official. Later, he was strangled to death.

If this guy knew how Yue Fei died, would he tattoo 精忠報國 on his arm?

Nov 12, 2012 07:17
GUEST22164 I guess it is pure ignorance and simply a fashion trend. Or they are desperate for people to talk to them when they ask what it means. However, "chicken" means prostitute in other Asian countries too and there is even a legal brothel in Nevada USA called The Chicken Ranch.
Nov 12, 2012 21:24
  • JIMMYB
Sunnydream,

You might misunderstand her tattoo. It is possible that her Chinese zodiac is a chicken.
Nov 17, 2012 00:10
  • GLOOMYSUNDAY
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUNNYDREAM

It can be chicken in English. But now this word has a derogatory meaning, which equals to *** or prostitute.

But people can not check it out from the dictionary. How does she know this if no one tell her. Poor girl...

Chinese dictionary needs to be updated, including the network language.

Nov 18, 2012 03:17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOOMYSUNDAY

But people can not check it out from the dictionary. How does she know this if no one tell her. Poor girl...

Chinese dictionary needs to be updated, including the network language.

Good idea. I may misunderstand chicken tattoo. But that word does reminds me its derogatory meaning.
Post a Reply to: Why do you guys tattoo Chinese words on your body?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code