Menu
Teaching English in China
Nov 23, 2012 17:57
  • AND123W
Hi there,

I want to teach in China the problem is I have no degree. I have been reading a lot about TEFL and TESOL programs. I'm not too sure what to think about them though. Lots of mixed reviews out there, some say the programs a scam, others scream success. Does anyone have feedback about any legitimate TEFL courses located in China? I'd be looking to teach kids in kindergarten seeing as that seems what I'd be qualified for.

Also, if anyone has suggestions of other ways I could earn income and get a visa in China that would help a lot! It's been my dream for 5 years to travel to China. I want to embrace the culture and learn Mandarin, I've already started.

All replies are welcome! Tell me about your experiences!

Thanks a lot,

Andrew
Nov 23, 2012 19:26
  • AND123W
I accidently made 2 threads so disregard the other one.
Nov 25, 2012 04:59
GUEST23969 If you peruse the various threads in this forum you will realise that it is not easy for a foreigner to work legally in China. Chinese workers are protected which means foreigners must be able to provide a skill which Chinese workers cannot. These are very few and far between. Teaching your native language is one such skill, particularly English. However, whilst in the past finding teaching jobs was quite easy, now the rules are being tightened and employers more selective due to the poor quality of staff being employed.

The higher status and better location the employer has, the higher will be their requirements (and pay). To get a good job you need the following;

Bachelors (Masters) Degree (any subject)
TEFL or equivalent teaching qualification.
2 years teaching experience
Age under 60 (55)

Lower qualification might be accepted by lower status organisations (lower pay) or those in less desirable locations.

Any organisations employing foreigners must be registered with the government to do so. Only they can provide the means to obtain a Z visa. This is the ONLY visa you can legally work on. It has a 30 day duration and must be replaced with work and residency permits.

If you are offered a job and asked to travel with an L or F visa be very wary. The Z visa can only be obtained outside of China.

Some people will risk working on these visas but if caught they will be fined and deported (probably with a ban on returning)
Nov 27, 2012 23:37
GUEST68172 Hello,I'm a Director of a Kids English school.I'm very interesting with you.Please send a Resume to me as soon as possible.Thank you!
My E-mail box:hotmail.com|many.chen
Dec 14, 2012 07:53
  • ERLANH
maybe for me it is a new thing, can teach English in China is referred to as the most populous country in the world.
Post a Reply to: Teaching English in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code