Menu
When does the chaos start for travelling through Chinese new years?
Dec 10, 2012 23:43
  • PREBEN
Hello fellow traveller!

I am going backpacking partly with friends partly alone in China after the internship i am currently doing ends. i need to apply for a new 30-day tourist visa in Hong Kong first but basically my travels after start on the 18. of jan. My plan is to go all the way from the south and end up as far north as Harbin for the ice festival. I have a plane ticket from harbin to Shanghai on the 8. of Feb. So i am going to spend Chinese new years there.

My question is this:
How early does the chaos for buying train-tickets start. Say i wanna go to harbin on the 5. of february. (5 days before Chinese New years). Might it be very difficult to get tickets on this date. Or dates before?

Also i am wondering in general how difficult it is to get traintickets when travelling. F.eks. if i am going to Guilin with train on friday the 18. from Shenzhen. How early should I book the tickets? Since i am applying for visa in hong kong it would be best to buy this after i recieve my visa..

Another question. Can You buy tickets at any big trainstation for any detination? Say I want to buy tickets from Beijing to Harbin 10 days before but at that time i am in Hunan province. (i have experienced that 10 days is the limit for buying in a station).

I had kindof hoped to be able to travel freely and not make any firm plans before so if i suddenly change my mind on the way or weather is too bad to do something i can change my plans and book a different train ticket.

Any tips at all on travelling so close to new years is greatly aprriciated. my current plan is this:

Hong Kong - Guilin - Hunan - Anhui - Pingyao - Harbin - Shanghai - Nanchang.

I have travelled with trains through the golden week which was at times pretty chaotic so i have a little experience.. though i would prefer not to travel like that again.. Tickets at that time was nearly impossible to get even online thats why i am seeking advice before this time around.

Hope someone can help.

Preben
Dec 11, 2012 00:32
GUEST44332 PREBEN,

The situation during the Spring Festival Transportation is much worse than the golden week. During this period, buses, trains and airlines undergo the busiest time. It is really difficult to get the train ticket. Online ticket sales starts a bit early than ticket window sales. And the railway stations will be full of people too. Tickets for hot destinations like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou etc will be quickly sold out.

If you can afford, I suggest you travel by air. Although air tickets are expensive and there is no discount during this time, you still have a chance to get it.

This period usually starts 15 days before the Chinese New Year's Eve and ends 15 days after that. I searched on the internet. It said "2013 Spring Festival Transportation starts on Jan. 26, 2013 and ends at Mar. 6, 2013".
Dec 11, 2012 03:51
GUEST97248 Thank you so much! Greatly appreciated. I will start buying the tickets i need after the 26th now.. If you have any other tips, please let me know..
Dec 12, 2012 00:42
  • GLGUIDE
when you are in guilin ,if you can`t buy the tickets to hunan ,Maybe I can help you . If you want some tour information ,please write to me .E-mail:hotmail.com|glguide2008
Dec 12, 2012 04:01
GUEST54547
Quote:

Originally Posted by GLGUIDE

when you are in guilin ,if you can`t buy the tickets to hunan ,Maybe I can help you . If you want some tour information ,please write to me .E-mail:hotmail.com|glguide2008

This is not true. The ticket sales system at railway stations across China are all connected. You can buy train tickets between any two destinations at the railway stations.
Post a Reply to: When does the chaos start for travelling through Chinese new years?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code