Menu
Foreigner buying a car in China
Jan 22, 2013 14:52
  • SPELUNKUS
Dodger,

Thanks for the info. What kind of problems happen? Local cadres come and investigate a car parked by the side of the road, or a tent they see? One of our biggest unknowns is what to expect from local law / cadres along the way. We are planning to look completely normal from the outside, but once they see our faces I don't doubt we'll be an object of curiosity or will represent some kind of opportunity to them, depending what their motives are.

Matt
Jan 22, 2013 22:54
  • DODGER
Matt,
When a foreigner stays at a hotel they have to register at the local PSB. What seems to confuse them is when you camp. There does seem to be a certain amounts of paranoia in the PSB wanting to know were foreigners are all the time.
We did encounter one dodgy incident when, what turned out to be the local thug tried to extort a ‘camping fee’ from us. About a dozen people turned up on motorbikes and we thought we may have had a problem. As it happens, they had just come to watch the show.
The thug called the cops. They arrived promptly about an hour latter, looking a little irritated, probably having to leave their lunch and girlfriends. Too tired to leave their car, they simply wound down the window. We waved and smiled, they smiled and waved back, then drove off
. Our thug looked angry after missing out on what had looked like an early Xmas, our crowd of would be Hells Angels looked disappointed at missing out on what they had anticipated to be cheap seats to a WWF show.
Me? I just sat down and had another beer, still I might add with that ‘ I’m just a stupid foreigner’ look on my face.
A further thought; don’t drive at night when out of big cities and don’t park at the side of main roads.

Cheers, Dodger.
May 8, 2013 21:57
GUEST10352 hello Guys, im larry and live in chengdu. I and my girlfriend want buy a car but i don't know if its possible for me to use my valid passport but i was at the car shop,they said okay but my lawyer said ...need to have a resident permit. But guys , i've got a student visa...am damn confuse cause i need this ride so badly....
Jul 1, 2013 06:51
GUEST48104 If you want to drive a van you need to possess the equivalent of a CDL in China, a regular drivers license simply allows you to drive a regular car.

As for the driving license, its a huge pain in the ass. The English test is actually a Chinglish test. So even though much of it is common sense, there are enough technical questions (point system, speed limits, strange signs...) and poorly worded questions that you are going to need someone to help you study as the rules of the road are only published in Chinese and you will be guessing on quite a few questions as the English doesn't make any sense.

Also, keep in mind that Chinese roads are some of the most dangerous on the planet.
Jul 12, 2013 21:03
GUEST97239 One thing to know. If you have an accident whilst driving in China you will be deemed responsible no matter whether you are or not. If you hurt someone then expect to have pay big compensation. I left China in 2008 but at that stage you definitely needed a resident permit to get a licence where previously you didn't. China seems to changes rules regularly so I would also enquire on an expat site like shanghaiexpat.com. As they are living there they will either know the current rules or find them out for you (there is usually a thread going on car licenses!)
Aug 7, 2013 09:56
GUESTROSE Hi, what did you decide in the end? I'm thinking the same but to drive a car from Hong Kong to Hainan.

Can anyone give some advise on if this is easy enough. The highroads look quite straightforward.

And any recommendations on where to stop in between. We love wildlife and beaches, and culture and food!
Sep 23, 2013 05:01
GUEST15180 I dont think its a good idea to drive through many provinces in china, unless u have a local with u. Its not like in australia, or europe or the states.
Its not as scenic too. Its true u will need a residency in order to buy a car. Passing and acquiring license is not difficult though.
Good luck.
Nov 10, 2013 07:10
  • W2004100400
U can not do this, sine if more china people buy a car ,and then modified with the function of housing and cooking ,
The real estate bubble will break.

Dec 3, 2013 20:49
GUEST33206 Where do I get a car to buy? I live in Wuhan. I am a foreigner and would want to to export the car to my home country? What are the procedures for getting the car exported? Can anyone help me please. Thanks in advance
Mar 5, 2014 21:36
GUEST53478 @Spelunkus. I'm a foreigner living and working in Beijing China. I do not have a car yet but hopefully soon. Here's my simple advice: Get everything or anything that your mind tells you to get,such as: resident permit; avoiding unseen problems from the government of China.
God bless.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Foreigner buying a car in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code