Menu
Back from Fenghuang!
May 10, 2005 12:18
  • NIHAOCHINA
Hi there, back from Fenghuang.traveling on train in peak season was a nightmare!
Fenghuang is quite a nice minority town except for huge crowds of tourists. But its the same everywhere in China at this time.Tuo river is not so clean as we expected,we can see a few women do some washing in the river.But i was told it was dirtier before!The restaurants beside the river are ridiculously expensive.Be aware of some of the bars by the river,You will have to spend at least 200 Yuan on the alcohol if you are at a wondow seat .But you get nice view though.We didn't do the boat rides.
We were kinda of fed up seeing the heads so we found a remote ,undiscovered (but its now discovered by us)minority village! We were the first tourists.We did a lot of walking along the valley and ended up in a village up in the forest! We also saw some ruins left by battles decades ago.We were lucky to have bunch of school teachers as our guide.they are all Tu Ethnic people. then We were back to Fenghuang on the fouth day as we wanted to visit another Miao village which is about more than 1 hour away from Fenghuang.But it started to rain so hard that we had to cancel it! The best time of a day to see fenghuang is probably at 5 am. as there's no body around. Its funny that we brought tents with us. but we didn't have any chance to put them up. Alright,I will try to put up some pics in my photo album here soon:)
Have a nice day!
May 10, 2005 12:35
  • DEE0228
HI,Nihaochina!

Great to see your news!
Yes, the holiday made all the resorts crowded and no doubt it upseted the travellers.
But it seems your trip was not too bad, at least you discovered a village! That must be very interesting to live in the minority village! Wait to see your greater pics!

Dee
May 11, 2005 11:41
  • NIHAOCHINA
Thanks Dee! I will try not to go anywhere for the following Oct. and May next year. But I will do a 1 month tour around China after I am done in the school I am working now in Oct. 2006.as by then it would be much easier to travel in the low season.I am not so sure about the places I am going ,But definitely I will go to Xinjiang autonomous Region and Beijing. Maybe I will think about going to Xi'an ,so i can visit you if possible.
I can't wait to go back Sichuan.:)
Dec 16, 2012 17:02
  • DOFR
what is the best month to go to Fenghuang?
Dec 16, 2012 19:23
GUEST6562
Quote:

Originally Posted by DOFR

what is the best month to go to Fenghuang?

Spring and Autumn are the best time to go there. If you want to avoid swarms of tourists, go there in winter.
Apr 28, 2014 03:48
  • DOFR
Back from Fenghuang in April 2014 and the place is okay for a visit. We paid CNY 148 to go into the gated wall of the ancient town and took pictures until we encounter a bad encounter with the rogue in monkey king costume. We thought it was part of the entrance fee we paid and they have people dressed in costumes going around to entertain tourist so I just took a picture of my sister with the monkeyman and he demanded we pay him.

I told him NO and if he wants money then he should display a board on his neck that he should be paid if tourists wants to take pictures with him. He was aggressive and scolded me and I am sure other tourist are taken by his demand.

Later I saw many tourists were intimidated by this costume monkeyman to pay him a fee for taking pictures of him. Hope the council of Fenghuang will look into this bad behaviour of these costumed monkeyman and not put China into a bad image with such rogues.

Spoiled my holiday with such rogues hanging around to ripped off tourists like me.
Post a Reply to: Back from Fenghuang!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code