Menu
Getting started...need help
May 19, 2005 21:39
  • CSAVAGE
Hi everyone!

I've decided to go to China by myself (I'm a 23 year old female) and am looking for some advice/direction. I will be there from September 9th to the 20th. Given that I won't have too much time to see such a huge country, I was wondering what you seasoned experts think are the absolute "must see's." Also, what airport should I fly into? Airfares are about the same to Beijing, Shangahi, and Hong Kong. I want to see the Great Wall, the Yangtze River, some of the Silk Road...I'm so lost!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
May 20, 2005 02:28
  • ELCABRON
For your first time and your short amount of time the typical mainstream route would be fine:

Beijing - Xian - Shanghai(with daytrips to Hangzhou, Suzhou...)
Than you have seen the places people think first of: the wall, forbidden city, terracotta army and Shanghai.

(Shanghai and HK are not really "typical" for China)
May 20, 2005 03:30
  • DONHFRASER
My advice if you want to see as much as possible, and in 2 weeks, it cannot be a lot as the country is so huge,would be to get on an organised trip. Yes it takes out the independance but you gain from local knowledge, transport problems sotred out saving a huge amount of time. I did Shanghai, Beijing, Xian, The Yangtse via Wuhan and Chongqing and return to Shanghai. Inclused on this were the main sites plus much more. Total distance travelled, 4500 miles.
What is listed in the brochures is not eeverything you see. It is very exhausting but a great experience
Post a Reply to: Getting started...need help
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code