Menu
train travel, Beijing, Xian and Shanghai
Nov 4, 2013 22:37
  • ROSEMARY4220
If you purchase an On Loan Octopus card in Hong Kong, can you still use it on trains etc in Beijing, Xi'an and Shanghai ? If you can't, is there another type of card you can purchase In mainland China and would it work the Same way ? Any information would be gladly welcomed.
Nov 5, 2013 00:06
  • JIMMYB
Rose, you can't use Octopus card in mainland China. So far, no such a card can be used to purchase the train tickets. If you are in Beijing, you might buy a smart IC card which enables you to enjoy great discount when you take the subway and public bus. It also can be used to pay for the taxi fee. This year, the local government announces that people with the smart ID cards can recharge values to their mobile phones and pay for the water and electricity fees.

In fact, such a smart IC card (mainly used for taking public bus and subway) can be found in big and medium-size cities. But you can't use it in another city.

Last months, some cities (I don't remember their names clearly) jointly announced that people with the smart IC cards issued by these cities can use them in any jointed city.
Nov 5, 2013 01:02
  • ROSEMARY4220
Thanks Jimmy I think I'll wait a few months and see again. Haven't got of my dates yet when we will be there but things may change with the smart card.
Post a Reply to: train travel, Beijing, Xian and Shanghai
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code