Menu
What is the origin of Thanks Giving Day?
Nov 28, 2013 01:30
  • RAINDROP
It’s puzzled for me to figure out the origin of Thanks Giving Day. To my understanding, it’s a religious celebration for thanking God. Occasionally, I read some sources about American history. My understanding of Thanks Giving Day has changed.

In the year of 1620, around 102 pilgrims sailed from Europe and eventually landed at Plymouth. Due to the harsh natural and living conditions, nearly 46 pilgrims died in the winter. Thanks to the local Indians, the rest of them survived. The Indians sent them food, living goods and tools of production and taught them to hunt, fish and grow crops. The pilgrims had a good harvest in the autumn of 1621. As a result, a grand celebration was held and some local Indians were invited. The grand feast was held to thank God and favors given by local Indians. It’s said that the celebration had lasted for three days. Also it was regarded as the first Thanks Giving Dinner. There is no evidence that the pilgrims ate turkey. However, they did boil pumpkins, according to what I read.

It seems that Thanks Giving Day is related to the local Indians to some extent. But why did the harmonious relationship turn into a war?
Post a Reply to: What is the origin of Thanks Giving Day?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code