Menu
Raise a son for your old age?
Dec 10, 2013 01:49
  • JIMMYB
Here is an old Chinese saying “Bring up sons for one’s old age”. Many Chinese parents prefer to have sons than daughters. The daughters will marry someone and carry babies for others. However, the sons live together with their parents and take care of them until the death.

An old man in Xian has three sons. Their sons have their own small families and the old man lives alone at an apartment after his wife passed away 3.5 years ago. Someday, he read a piece of news that an old woman suddenly suffered from a brain haemorrhage at home and her children didn’t know about this because they didn’t live together with him. It was the old woman’s neighbors who sent him to the hospital.

The old man started to worry who will help him what if he suffers a severe illness suddenly. Therefore, he decides to make a test on his three sons and find one to take care of him. He called his eldest son and said “Son, I withdrew my pension yesterday but I lost it before I got home. Without my pension, I even couldn’t afford the medicine and meals.” His son interrupted and said “Dad, how could you lose your pension?” The wife of his eldest son also blamed him for losing his pension. The old man was angry and hung up the telephone.

Then he called his second son and told the same lie. His second son didn’t believe him. He asked “Dad, where do you hide your money this time? You should look for it carefully at home.”

The old man felt very sad at his two sons. Suddenly, he remembered his youngest son. He made a call but his son was not at home. It was his youngest son’s wife who picked up the phone. After listening to her father-in-law’s words, she comforted him and then sent 1000 RMB to him immediately. Before she left, she comforted him “Dad, don’t think about your lost money too much. You still have us. If you run out of money, just make a call and I will send more to you.”

The old man was happy. He decided to rent an apartment near his third son’s home so that he wouldn’t disturb his son’s life. However, his son and daughter-in-law could come over and take care of him.
Post a Reply to: Raise a son for your old age?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code