Menu
Possibly traveling to China with pets.
Jan 16, 2014 19:43
guestBryna Hello, I'm looking for information on travel to China with pets. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have been offered the opportunity to work at the Shanghai Center for Plant Stress Biology while completing my PhD. If I end up accepting, I will be spending 5-6 months out of each year in China, and the remaining time in the US, probably traveling to China around August and back to New Mexico, possibly by way of Portland, OR, around January, for the next three to four years. While I am excited but what sounds like an amazing opportunity, I'm unwilling to take this step if it means leaving my beloved cat and dog behind for several months out of the year. So far, I've already discovered some sticking points, so I'm hoping to find out if they can be got around.

From what I've seen, a resident visa is required to bring a pet into China. Can anyone explain what a resident visa is? If I am in China only 5-6 months out of the year, do I even qualify for a resident visa? And can I get one before leaving the US, so I can bring my pets with me? If not, is there any other option? Aside from the visa issue, I've also seen that only one pet is allowed per person. Is there anyway to get around this requirement? Finally, I've read that a 30 quarantine is required to bring pets from the US into Shanghai. I'm not comfortable leaving my pets in the care of strangers. I've also seen suggestions that if one flies into Hong Kong or some other port of entry, it is possible to avoid the quarantine. Is this true? If so, would it then be possible to go directly to Shanghai? Finally, if my dog were a registered service dog, would this in any way smooth the process?

Thank you for much for any information, I appreciate it! :)
Jan 23, 2014 01:23
GUEST8935 BRYNA,

From what I read, the 30 days quarantine is not asked if you bring your pet by entering HK or Guangzhou. In Guangzhou, you can do 30 days quarantine at home because there is no quarantine place at the airport. It's said that the quarantine place will be built at the airport soon.

If you bring your pet into PRC by entering Beijing or Shanghai, you definitely need to have your pet quarantined at appointed places.

Wherever you enter PRC, you have to provide the required documents:
1. International health certificate issued in the originating country showing the name, sex, and breed of the pet (certified by USDA)
2. Vaccination record showing that a rabies shot was given within the preceding 12 months, but not less than 30 days before departure. Cats must be vaccinated against Enteritis (E3) within 12 months of arrival into China. You will need a certificate for Feline Panleucopania, and Feline Respiratory Disease Complex Vaccinations (vaccination certificate)
3. Owner's residential details in China
4. Copy of airway bill (if traveling as cargo)
May 12, 2014 05:28
GUEST49106 Did you find any suitable solutions? I am in a similar situation and trying to avoid quarantine ?
Post a Reply to: Possibly traveling to China with pets.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code