Menu
What is the definition of “middle class”?
Jan 23, 2014 20:14
  • CHERRY07
Forbes defines people who meet the following requirements as “middle class” in China.
1.Living in the city
2.Age between 25 and 45
3.Bachelor degree at least
4.Professionals
5.Annual income between 10000 and 60000 USD

How many Chinese people have met the requirements? 0.3 billion in 2010 according to the statistics. In fact, many Chinese people who belong to the middle class according to Forbes don’t they really belong to middle class.

10000 USD equals around 60000 RMB, which means middle class people earn 5000 RMB per month. The statistics shows that the average housing price in Beijing already exceeded 20000 RMB per square meter in 2012. It’s a daydream for middle class people to buy an apartment in Beijing. How many people can earn 60000 USD per year? I didn’t find specific data.

If people who earn around 5000USD per month don’t buy apartments, they belong to middle class. If they buy an apartment, a car and have a baby, they are just ordinary people.

How do you define middle class? Are there any common standards for middle class in your country?
Jan 29, 2014 00:14
  • GRIZ326
The definition sounds odd to me.

My definition is simple: people who earn enough to pay for food, clothing, housing, some basic extras like a telephone, and perhaps a small, saved-for luxury every year or so.

People who can afford big homes, fancy cars, boats, and trips are above middle class.

Feb 6, 2014 21:22
  • CHERRY07
Griz,

Unfortunately, many young Chinese people can't buy their own apartments due to the crazy and unreasonable housing prices. I am one of these guys.
Feb 28, 2014 19:04
  • NOBODY
apartment in the city? It does sounds odd. As I understand the middle class is to have enough money to support your family and being able to save enough to go at least once a year on a trip. (and still able to save money)
Having an office job or similar white collar job and it is also often seen in connection with a small family and a house.
Mar 13, 2014 03:00
  • CHERRY07
Nobody,

Obviously I am not become a member of middle class. But I have a white collar job.
Apr 6, 2014 05:28
  • GAFFER
If there are three classes, rich, middle and poor then it would seem the middle class are those who think they are neither rich nor poor.

I don't see why education qualification is considered. You don't need a Bachelors to be a millionaire. Even income is debatable as a little can go a long way in some locations.... or a lot doesn't go far in others.

I think the answer is how you perceive yourself.
Apr 23, 2014 02:01
  • JACOB222
Middle class means then people of middle standard i think.In china there are many people which are middle class.Those who have a good family and and they full fill the requirements of their family in normal money range not like Millionaires.These are special and quality people which are in middle class.These are very noble and kind to everyone and selfish to their work.
Jun 23, 2014 21:13
  • WHATSOEVER
Actually, most young people and even people older than 40 can not afford an apartment in China, in your words, it is odd for middle class not be able to have their own apartment. I have an idea, for anyone who can not abandon their jobs and does not have enough money for their rest life but they can still live comfortably, that is middle class. When i say comfortably, i mean really comfortable, rarely he or she need to worry about money.
Post a Reply to: What is the definition of “middle class”?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code