Menu
On Chinese New Year’s Eve: Women cook! Men eat and drink!
Jan 25, 2014 21:07
  • CHERRY07
When my grandpa and grandma were alive, we usually celebrated Chinese New Year together with my uncles, aunts and cousins. My mom and aunts were busy preparing delicious dishes on the New Year’s Eve. My dad, my uncles, my cousins and my sister went to visit my grandpa’s parents’ tombs. There we burnt paper money and sacrificed fruits and food in memory of them. When the night fell, we gathered together and had a grand feast to celebrate the Chinese New Year. All men and kids in my big families sat around the table and ate dishes. My mom and my aunts were busy cooking dishes in the kitchen.

Cooking is women’s duty in a Chinese family. On some important occasions, women just cook dishes and never enjoy food on the table. After my grandpa and grandma passed away, we still celebrated Chinese New Year together. We gathered at my old uncle’s house and had a grand feast for celebration. My mom and aunts also enjoyed dishes together with us. My old uncle once said that my mom and aunts were busy in the kitchen in a whole year and it’s time for them to have a rest and celebrate the New Year together with us.

In fact, my dad was not a chauvinist. He helped my mother prepare dishes for the Chinese New Year Feast. Sometimes, he instructed my mother to fry sweet potatoes, tofu, meat ball etc.
Mar 20, 2014 00:00
  • NORTH_WIND
I can feel the warmth of your family! Many families were like this in the old generations. Whether cooking in the kitchen or eating beside the table, what it most important is that the family members are all together during the Spring Festival season!
Post a Reply to: On Chinese New Year’s Eve: Women cook! Men eat and drink!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code