Menu
Playing mahjong is very important
Feb 8, 2014 00:23
  • RAINDROP
Mr. Zhang is a salesman. During the Spring Festival Holiday, he paid a visit to his girlfriend’s home. His girlfriend’s parents invited him to play mahjong after lunch. Mr. Zhang was so embarrassed because he didn’t know how to play mahjong. The girl’s parents told him that they could teach him how to play mahjong. Mr. Zhang refused and confessed that he tried to learn but he failed. As a result, he together with his girlfriend and her parents watched TV programs.

Some of his girlfriend’s relatives paid their New Year visit to his girlfriend’s home in the following two days. The only entertainment activity was to play mahjong after lunch. The relatives also invited him to play mahjong together. Mr. Zhang told them he didn’t know how to play. The relatives didn’t force him to join them but played mahjong on their own. Mr.Zhang had nothing to do but play games on his mobile phone.

After the relative left, his girlfriend had a very formal conversation with Mr.Zhang. She told him it was wrong for him to refuse her parents and relatives’ invitation for playing mahjong. When her parents told him they could teach him to play, he should have said “Ok, I’ll do my best to learn.” One of her relatives complained to her parents that Mr. Zhang was a bit asocial. Mr.Zhang told his girlfriend that he had no interest in mahjong, alcohol and cigarette.

A good son-in-law (to be) should know clearly how to please their parents-in-law. Even he has no interest in mahjong, he shouldn’t have made them disappointed.
Feb 28, 2014 18:26
  • NOBODY
I can understand that it is part of the Chinese culture, but I wonder if only son-in-law means "half-son" or if the same applies with the father-in-law.
I noticed that many parents-in-law don't treat the son/daughter in-law as they treat their own son/daughter yet expecting to be treated as 'half-parents'.
Mar 13, 2014 03:11
  • JIMMYB
noticed that many parents-in-law don't treat the son/daughter in-law as they treat their own son/daughter yet expecting to be treated as 'half-parents'.

Haha, interesting comments but it's true. Perhaps, the mother-in-law change their opinions on her half-son. Here is a Chinese idiom "丈母娘看女婿,越看越喜欢", meaning 'The mother-in-law like her son-in-law more if she has more understanding of him." That's why many sons-in-law do their best to please their mothers-in-law.
May 15, 2014 22:38
  • BINZHANG
This is very interesting story. Chinese parents-in-law are hard to please and picky! But we have to face the fact!
Post a Reply to: Playing mahjong is very important
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code