Menu
teaching post in Harbin
May 26, 2005 11:46
  • CCENT
I'm going to Harbin in a few days. Will be there from June-Sept. I am a bit apprehensive travelling alone by train from Beijing. Can anyone tell me what to expect of the trains? Coming from Australia. Should I pack only warm clothes? cheers cc
May 26, 2005 15:04
  • CONNY129
Actually,Harbin is not so cold in june to sep. the temperature is nearly 20 ? up and down ,so shirt,thin sweater will be ok. If you get there by train alone,take care of yourself and don't forget to bring some food and drink with you because the food sold on the train is not as cheap as ordinary.
May 27, 2005 09:56
  • DEE0228
Train No. From To Dep. Arr. Travel Time Air-conditioned
Z15 Beijing Harbin 20:30 07:00 10h30m Yes
T71 Beijing Harbin 08:30 20:14 11h44m Yes
T17 Beijing Harbin 21:05 08:35 11h30m Yes
May 27, 2005 10:06
  • DEE0228
above is a list of train schedule of beijing/Harbin, any one of them can take you to Harbin, the train is confortable, the fare of a soft sleeper is about $50
Jun 1, 2005 06:36
  • CCENT
thank you for replying. that was definitely helpful. where are you located. I am travelling from Adelaide to Shanghai and by plane to Harbin. couldn't stand the 11 hrs. journey specially if I have to share with 4 other people I do not know.. cheers
Jun 1, 2005 06:41
  • CCENT
that train schedule was very informative but i think i'll fly to Harbin. Anything else I need to know. It is my first time to China and I am reading a lot more negatives than positives. I will be met in Harbin but may get stuck in Shanghai because of the flight arrival of my plane. I assume there will be no English translation beneath the chinese characters. cheers cc
Jun 5, 2005 01:09
  • ELAINAPANG
hey. you're smart to fly -i took the train from beijing to harbin and it was unpleasant (squatting toilet on moving vehicle...not fun!). Don't worry about harbin; it's one of the friendlier cities in china in my opinion. the locals are used to caucasians (a lot of Russians cross the border for vacation) and the air quality is much better than beijing and shanghai. when u go, u must try the dumplings and "pulled" noodles. good luck!
Jun 6, 2005 14:22
  • CCENT
yep....i guess i was smart to fly. tell you what it was a loooooooooong flight from adelaide. My luggage was supposed to have gone straight to Harbin but it remained in Shanghai. I was met but my promised accomodation was not yet available so I was placed in a hotel that lo and behold turns water off at midnight. it was 1am and i couldnot wash. just flopped in bed after 16hrs. of journey. yuk! it is different but hey that is the beauty of a cultural shock. cheers and thanks all for replying. will keep in touch
cc
Jun 8, 2005 19:42
  • JOEEY
hey!i'm joey.
welcome to harbin!i've been in harbin for more than 2 years and familiar with the bars,parks, shopping plazas,places of interests! At the same time im very interested in the Australian culture,espacialy adelaide. i heard the adelaide is very beautiful and wanna study there .
what do you say? wanna make a friend?
Jun 17, 2005 08:45
  • CCENT
hello joey...i'm sure i replied to you but i guess it did not send. i am trying another address.. where are you from? you can contact me on my landline in the apt.86304066. I teach at Discover English located at the Tsinghua Uni. and i am contracted until end of aug. Do not expect a young person, I am 57 yrs old. cheers Cristina
Post a Reply to: teaching post in Harbin
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code