Menu
Great Wall - are we still allowed to walk it?
Apr 13, 2004 14:30
  • AMANDA

i saw on the news last year that China government are cracking down on wall hiking in order to preserve the wall - is this true? My partner and i really wanted to be able to trek between Jinshanling and Simatai (a 10km hike i think), and possibly hangshuo to mitiyuanu (a few days, sleeping over on the wall if possible) - are these walks still allowed? and has anybody done them? Any advice would be much appreciated. We will be in Beijing in September 2004. Thank you!
Apr 13, 2004 14:33
  • DAISY
Hi!
As the the regulation on Great Wall protection says, the sections which are not open to tourists are not permitted to hike on.

About the Beijing Great Wall, there are four sections were permitted to hike for tourists. They are Badaling, Mutianyu, Jinshanling and Simatai. So you can hike on Jinshanling and Simatai with your farther.

Although you will go to Wall in Sep 2004, I still advise you should not sleep overnight on the Wall. Because the wind of night is a little bit cold, and the temperature is lower than in the day time.

Enjoy the Wall hiking!

Apr 13, 2004 14:34
  • DAISY
Oh, by the way, the Great Wall is extremely hard work. Some sections have steps and railings, other sections are just gradual steep slopes. Be prepared for extreme temperatures. If you go in summer you will be fried by the sun, in winter you will have a biting wind, extreme sub-zero temperatures, snow and ice.

September is an ideal season to go hiking on the Great Wall of China. Weather at that time permits people to appreciate the best scenery of Great Wall. At dusk,Great Wall appears the most majestic. Have you ever imagine practicing Tai Chi Chuan on the Great Wall? It must be fantastic!

Take care!
Apr 13, 2004 14:37
  • ANNA
We did the Jinshanling to Simitai in April 2003 - fantastic scenery - nice to hike point to point.

Rule 1 - bring your own food and water - our travel company gave us no information on the facilities available - and many were closed.

Rule 2 - wear good shoes

Rule 3 - take your time. it was magical!
Apr 13, 2004 14:38
  • BONITA
Hi,
I will be going there most likely in June. Can you give me some idea what the temperature will be like then? How long does it take one to complete a section of the Wall (i mean for an average person)? Will there be food and drink stalls along the walk or like some have suggested that we bring our own food and drinks?

Many thanks in advance for your answers.
Post a Reply to: Great Wall - are we still allowed to walk it?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code