Menu
Advie on changing Visas
Nov 15, 2014 01:02
  • SILVIANH
Hi, I am working in China now for 6 months and need advise on changing jobs. My recruiter said that she will take me to the Bureau to have my Z-visa switched to an independent Z-visa so that I can get out of the contract that I'm in right now? Is this accurate? Will I be able to keep residency permit and get a new job with an independent Z-visa?
Nov 16, 2014 00:21
GUEST6763 I don't know how your recruiter swith your z visa. I suggest you visit local entry and exit mangement bureau in advance before you recruiter take there. Then you can ask the staff there whether what your recruiter said was right or wrong.

According to my knowledge, normally foreign staff find a new job first and then just need to ask their new recruiter to help them renew their employment certificate. As a result, his resident permit is still valid.
Nov 27, 2014 12:43
  • SILVIANH
How long does the permit remain valid for before the employment certificate is renewed? In what circumstances can the foreign residence permit and the z viza be canceled by the recruiter?
Nov 29, 2014 20:23
GUEST9063 SILVIANH,

Please understand that your employer has no right to cancel your resident permit. However, they can apply to cancel your work permit. Even they cancelled your work permit, you can still stay in China with your current resident permit. However, if they report you to local entry and exit management bureau, your resident permit might be revoked.

Seriously, if you and your employer didn't have a happy ending, they would have cancelled your work permit and reported you to local entry and exit management bureau.

I suggest you go to local entry and exit mangement bureau to ask for help. They can give an accurate answer.
Nov 30, 2014 22:32
  • BJLEEO
Quote:

Originally Posted by SILVIANH

Hi, I am working in China now for 6 months and need advise on changing jobs. My recruiter said that she will take me to the Bureau to have my Z-visa switched to an independent Z-visa so that I can get out of the contract that I'm in right now? Is this accurate? Will I be able to keep residency permit and get a new job with an independent Z-visa?

There is NO independent Z visa. All work visas need to be sponsored by the employing companies.
If you go to the Public Security Bureau, your residence permit for work will be cancelled. Instead you will be given an exit visa no more than 2 weeks, with which you have to leave China mainland. You even cannot renew for a few days. No one can help.

There are 3 documents are quite important if you want to find another employer and stay in China.
1. Alien Employment Permit issued by Labor Bureau
2. Release letter stamped by the current employer
3. Residence permit for work (on your passport)

The employer can cancel your Alien Employment Permit in Labor Bureau. You can ask for an official cancellation letter. It is much better if they don't do it and give the Alien Employment Permit to you directly.

You'd better keep all the 3 documents. If cannot, keep 2 documents. If the worst, keep your residence permit for work. Don't surrender your passport.
Dec 20, 2014 05:09
GUEST88126 Hi, I have been offered a job and Chinese employer is processing my Z visa which require more time. My employer asking me to come to China on L visa and then they can change it to Z visa at local PSB. Is that possible? I want my wife to accompany me to China, can i apply L visa for her and get it change to Family visa (S) when she is in China? Any response ll be highly appreciated for these two queries.Thanks
Dec 20, 2014 21:41
GUEST7864 GUEST88126,

According to what I know, it's almost impossible for foreigners to change visa tyes in mainland China without leaving. If you hold a L tye, you need to exit China to apply for a Z. You need to make sure that your employer can change your L type to Z type after you arrive. You know, it's illegal to work with other types rather than Z.

Since you don't get your Z before you go to China, you can't apply for a S type for your wife before you go. It's ok that she applies for a L type first if she wants to enter China with you. However, I am not sure if she can get the S type succesfully. The reason is stated before.

If your employer can change L type to Z for you, he/she should be able to do that for your wife. If so, she can come with a L and change it to a S type.

However, I personally the safest way is that you come to China at first. When you get the Z type, you can send an invitation letter and help your wife to apply for a S type. Then she saves the trouble to change from L type to S type.
Post a Reply to: Advie on changing Visas
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code