Menu
English speaker Traveling western China on a motorcycle
Jan 7, 2015 18:37
  • IPYRAMUS
Is this a stupid idea or one that can be done because the infrastructure now exists to fix and repair vehicles all along the silk road from Hong Kong to Samarkand. Any issues using an American passport in the countries along the silk road.
Jan 13, 2015 01:03
  • GRIZ326
I believe that you'll need some sort of license to operate a motor vehicle through China. It maybe difficult to get that, but other people will know better than me.

That aside, road signs will be a problem for you. Outside of the major cities, Chinese/English signage is rare. Chinese/Pinyin signs were fairly common on my last visit, but again, the further you go away from a large city the less common they become.

I do not know if a western GPS will work for navigating the highways or if you will be permitted to bring one into China. Customs is quite relaxed, but do your homework well.

You will need visas for each country that you enter along with a driver's license for each of them.

As for vehicle repair, it will probably be more difficult than you seem to think. In my experience, vehicles have internal logic that makes them break down at the furtherest point between repair facilities.

...and, of course, you'll have language barriers to overcome.

I've considered driving around China with my wife who was born and raised in China. But even with her as a guide, I think that such and adventure would be challenging.

All of that said, it sounds like a magnificent excursion. Prepare well and you may be able to make it happen.

Hopefully some of the Chinese nationals here can speak to these issues with authority.

Good luck.
Jan 13, 2015 01:08
GUEST15942 Thank you for the obvious wisdom. I suspect a train and bus will be my best bet.
Apr 16, 2015 01:21
  • CGRIELL
I have been in China back in the 90's (of course, China has changed a lot since then), but driving there was absolutely crazy, essentially because all drivers were "newbies" to a certain point, as pedestrians were also. So, vehicles made U-Turns on a Highway if they missed the exit ramp, or pedestrians simply crossed everywhere, without looking to the cars (because they know that if the driver knew that the pedestrian has seen the car, the pedestrian will stop). Bicycles are everywhere, and driving there is similar to a video game.

And if you hit a kid with your bike in some remote village in the middle of nowhere... well, you will run in BIG troubles.

Apr 16, 2015 02:17
GUEST15942 Thanks, I am looking to do the trip on a motorcycle so this is welcome information.
Post a Reply to: English speaker Traveling western China on a motorcycle
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code