Menu
18, first time traveler/flyer, never been in an airport!
Jun 5, 2005 03:54
  • NIKKICRAE
Hi! I'm 18 years old, I'm from Canada and I'm flying alone (never been on a plane) to China for 32days to visit my friend who is teaching there. I get to Shanghai @ 4ish and was wondering how long customs takes, and also how much a taxi is, I don't know a word of chinese and I'm deathly afraid of being taken advantage of. I arrive at pudong and then overnight by myself then hop a plane to wuyishan in the morning at Hongqaio airport, any tips for an unseasoned beginner? I've paid for my tickets and I budgetted how much I'd spend while I stayed with my friend until we leave to tour Beijing Xi'an and then her province of Fujian, anything I should be aware of?
Jun 5, 2005 13:25
  • CATHERINE
Welcome to China!
suggestions for you:
Book the hotel you'll stay in Shanghai beforehand, and then print out the Chinese address of the hotel, show the address to the taxi driver.
Ask the hotel to book a taxi to drive you to Hongqiao airport the next day.
Be adviced that most hotels and decent restaurants have English speaking staffs, so no need to worry about the language barrier, especially in the metropolis Shanghai.
Jun 7, 2005 00:12
  • GAZ07
My advice to you is simply buy the Lonely Planet guide book which will help you and guide you with all practical information.

It will make your trip easier, without missing any major attractions. And will also give rough prices so you know you aren't being taken advantage of.

I admire your courage. Good luck, i'm sure your trip will be trouble free.

One tip for you: OVERBUDGET. Always. I seem to always spend slightly more than i plan to.
Jun 13, 2005 05:43
  • CHINASG00
Hi there,
You should have no problem with the Customs or Immigration.
That'll take about 30 mins to go thru both, depending on the crowd.
Ignore the touts as you leave the airport.
Look for the taxi queue.
Again, as in crowded places, watch yout belongings.

Post a Reply to: 18, first time traveler/flyer, never been in an airport!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code