Menu
Resident Permit "Grace Period" and restrictions
May 30, 2015 08:06
Hi All

I am from the UK and currently living and working in Nanjing. My contract and resident permit both end on the 25th of September 2015.

I have a flight to Shenzhen booked on the 2nd of October 2015 where I will head to Hong Kong via land and fly from Hong Kong to Penang on the 3rd of October 2015. So in Summary I will be officially leaving the Mainland of China on the 2nd of October 2015.

My employers third party visa company want to send my passport off to the PSB so that I can get a 30 day visa. However this cannot be done until my release letter has been given which is on my last day of work (25th of September). The company however cannot guaranty that my passport will be returned in time for my departure from Nanjing on the 2nd of October (especially as that week is a National holiday) so that leaves me with the only option of trying to change my contract end date to an earlier date in the hope that my passport can make it back to me before the 1st of October 2015.

So given my situation I have two questions:

1) I hear there is a "Grace period" of 30 days for when your resident permit ends? Is this true?

2) If there is a "Grace period" can I still travel China domestically via both land and air? and also book hotels? using that expired resident permit on its "Grace period". I ask because I would like to travel China for the week after my contract ends before my departure of China (26th September 2015 - 1st October 2015) I will then also need to be able to board my flight from Nanjing to Shenzhen on the 2nd of October 2015 too.

Any help of advice on my situation will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Chris
Jun 1, 2015 21:46
GUEST0346 Chris, I didn't hear about the grace period. You have to understand that China has tightened the policies of regulating foreigners. It's better not take such a risk. If you were caught, you would have been fined or detained. In the future, you might have trouble reapplying Chinese visas.

I don't understand why your employer couldn't give you the release letter a few days in advance. If your employer couldn't give you any help, I think you should reschedule your flight to Shenzhen. It means that you fly to Shenzhen and enter HK from there before September 25. In this way, you won't have any problem. You might lose some money if you reschedule your flight. However, it saves the trouble that you would be fined if you overstayed.
Jun 2, 2015 22:24
  • BJLEEO
There is NO "grace period" at all.

You can ask your employer to write a letter, stating that your contract is going to expire on Sep. 25 and you will leave China mainland on Oct. 2.
Together with the letter, the plane ticket, the passport, the Alien Employment permit and other documents required, ask your employer's third party visa company to apply for a visa extension. Considering your schedule, you can do the extension in the middle of September. Thus you can have your passport returned in time to match your schedule.
Jun 3, 2015 00:45
Thank you very much for your replies.

That's odd as there was recently a colleague that finished their contract with the company and did not renew (kind of the same situation as me). She staid almost a week after contract and resident permit expired without having to send of passport for a tourist visa or pay any overstay fines etc.

From what I understand the company cancelled her resident permit on the last day of employment and was given a "grace period" of which is between 10-30 days to clear up and loose ends and leave China.....

But given your advice I will enquire about maybe trying to get the release letter earlier as I already have the flight out of China booked at least I have that to help prove I will be leaving.

Thanks

Chris
Post a Reply to: Resident Permit "Grace Period" and restrictions
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code