Menu
visit/emigration to CQ
Jun 12, 2005 02:29
  • JEFFSMYERS
To be brief:

Have lived in several countries in Asia (8+ yrs) but not China and obviously not CQ.

#1 Fly to CQ. Have found many flights to CQ as well as prices. Looking for the best and least expensive with return undated. Buy at US or foreign ticketing agency?

#2 I know about sponsership by teaching ESL. Any other jobs available? Any US based companies there for employment.

#3 Ability to change visa from visit to resident after arrival?

#4 Desire to purchase laptop there or here. Price comparison for purchase of that and other items. Shall I buy now or then?

#5 Are there local english newspapers. Can they be sent to me? I am told that they can not be.

#6 Restrictions that I may not be accoustom to that I should be aware of?

#7 Shall I bring my GSM Cell phone? Will it work there. Any US cell phone cos there, T-Mobile, Sprint, ...

Thanks Jeff
Jun 17, 2005 09:44
  • CATHERINE
#1 Fly to CQ. Have found many flights to CQ as well as prices. Looking for the best and least expensive with return undated. Buy at US or foreign ticketing agency?

>The earlier you book the ticket, the less expensive it should, I think.

#2 I know about sponsership by teaching ESL. Any other jobs available? Any US based companies there for employment.

>There should be some foreign companies there. While to be a teacher must be the best choice since you'll have much more holidays to travel.

#3 Ability to change visa from visit to resident after arrival?

>As soon as you find a job in CQ and sign the contract, they will arrange work visa for you.

#4 Desire to purchase laptop there or here. Price comparison for purchase of that and other items. Shall I buy now or then?

>Have no idea about the price of laptop in the US. Here in China, price ranging from 5000-20000 or more according to the brands and outfit.

#5 Are there local english newspapers. Can they be sent to me? I am told that they can not be.

>I seldom found any local English newspapers. But we usually buy China Daily which is a world-wide media.

#6 Restrictions that I may not be accoustom to that I should be aware of?

>??

#7 Shall I bring my GSM Cell phone? Will it work there. Any US cell phone cos there, T-Mobile, Sprint, ...

>Cell phone in China is rather cheap and with many international brands. So why not buy a brand new one here?
Jul 8, 2005 01:19
  • JABAROOTOO
CEll phone. If you're off a plan you might be able to use your phone here but seems to be a problem for some US citz You can buy a new one here for around US$100

Best to have a job before you arrive. Usaully comes with apartment. Not so easy to locate Joint Venture companies and job vacancies most probably filled from abraod. Be warry of Agencies employing teachers as most have less than reputable reputations and scruples.

Restrictions are few. Just be courteous to the locals and obey the laws and you'll get along just fine. (you can ignore any road rules here though, that is one exception)
Post a Reply to: visit/emigration to CQ
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code