Menu
Getting (or extending) a 30+ day tourist visa?
Oct 29, 2015 05:49
  • TWINMATRIX
My boyfriend lives in Chongqing, China and I visit him every few months. He's Chinese so he always writes me an invitation letter. Next time I would like to see about staying 45 or 50 days. 30 days is just too short, you know? The first week I'm jetlagged, the last week we're packing and we're sad I have to leave. An extra 1-2 weeks would be amazing.

Now I've been reading that the best shot I have is getting a 30 day visa from the embassy at home, and then a 30 day extension a week before the first one would expire. I've read that it MIGHT be possible to get an initial visa of more than 30 days, but it's unlikely and probably they will just give me 30 days, right?

My question is:
Will my 45-day return flight be a problem for entering the country and for acquiring my VISA? I will book a round-way flight that leaves 45 days after it arrives. When you arrive, you need to fill in one of those Arrival slips that states the flight name & date when you leave. If I come in with a 30 day visa and write down that my flight leaves 45 days later, isn't that a huge problem?

And second question:
I read that I need proof of a 12,000+ Yuan bank account balance when applying for a VISA extension. Is this correct? Or is the number different? Or it doesn't matter, because I'll be staying at my boyfriend's place?

Last question:
When applying for a visa extension, does it help at all that my boyfriend comes with me and can write an invitation letter or whatever for me..? Testify that I'll be staying at his place etc.

Thoughts? :)

Thank you!
Last edited by TWINMATRIX: Oct 29, 2015 05:52
Oct 29, 2015 20:23
GUESTTINA TWINMATRIX,

Because you have been to China so many times, you actually can require for a multiple entries L type. If you apply successfully, you needn't do the extension. Instead, you can just visit HK or Macau to activate your second or third entry. However, duration of stay still might be 30 days too. The requirements for a multiple entry L type is the same. And you just need to print your previous entry records.

If you apply with the invitation letter from your BF, then you needn't book your return flight in advance. Those who can't provide the invitation letter are required to provide return flights and hotel booking.

As for the extension, you should have around CNY 21000 in your Chinese bank account. If you don't have one, you should open a Chinese account.
Oct 30, 2015 04:43
  • TWINMATRIX
Hi Guesttina,

Thank you so much for your reply! That's very informative.

So if I don't show a return flight, because I have an invitation letter, what should I write on the customs Arrival slip? They specifically ask for a Return Flight & Return Date.
Should the invitation letter state the actual date that I want to leave? (~45 days after arriving.)
I WOULD be booking return flight at the same time, as it's cheaper, I'm just curious where I should state this. :)

Does it have to be a Chinese bank account? I don't normally keep CNY 21000 laying around so the only option I see is transferring almost my entire own bank account, or maybe combining it with my bf's if showing that is an option?
Last edited by TWINMATRIX: Oct 30, 2015 04:46
Oct 31, 2015 00:52
GUEST7894 Twinmatrix,

Yes, the arrival and departure dates should be stated in the invitation letter. If you plan to book your return air ticket, then I suggest you apply for a double or multiple one. You don't be bothered by the extension issue. In this case, you needn't open a Chinese bank account.

However, if you just get a single entry one and plan to do the extension, then you should open a Chinese account for sure.
Nov 24, 2015 07:59
  • TWINMATRIX
Hey!

Quick update: I'll be booking a 49 day flight. I'll try to apply for 2 month visa, but if I get 1 month I'll extend in Chongqing (apparently I don't need a Chinese bank account there).

Question: it says I need "residency registration from the hotel". But... I'm staying at my bf's. So, what do I bring? Nothing? The invitation letter? :S

Question 2: Should I apply on Day 23 on Visa 1 or earlier?

Thank you. =)
Nov 24, 2015 19:36
GUEST5563 TWINMATRIX,

The invitation letter and residency registration form are two different things. If you live at your BF's house, you should visit local police station together with him in 24 hours and apply for the residency registration form.

If your BF is a Chinese, he should bring his Chinese ID card and household registration book.

It's suggested that foreigners should ask for the extension at least 7 days in advance before their visas expire.
Nov 25, 2015 07:02
  • TWINMATRIX
Thank you for the advice. :)

So we just go down to a local police station and that's it? Because I have no legal documents that I'm staying at his place. I'm not actually 'living' there, just staying there for the duration of my trip.

Does it take long to apply for it? Because the day of arrival is the 6th, new years eve.

And is a physical examination required?

"residency registration" sounds scarily official, I mean, I just want to extend my tourist visa. Not actually register to live in China. :S
Last edited by TWINMATRIX: Nov 25, 2015 07:08
Nov 25, 2015 19:52
GUEST5564 Hey, you need go to local police station within 24 hours upon arrival. The process is very easy. you sign a form at the scene and then you will get the temporary accommodation registration form in a few minutes. And there is no requirement for physical examination. By the way, Feb. 6 isn't Chinese New Year Eve. It should be Feb. 7.

I think you misunderstood resident permit application and temporary accommodation registration. They are two different things. The accommodation registration is required because local police need to know where foreigners stay. It doesn't mean that you register for living there.

You needn't provide any legal document to prove that you and he are in a relationship. You can even just say he is your friend if you want to avoid any trouble.
Nov 26, 2015 05:13
GUESTTWINMAT... Oops, my bad, while managing this thing I got the date wrong, sorry. ^^ Thank you so much for explaining.
Jul 2, 2016 04:08
GUESTDANIEL Hi l twin matrix, May I know if all went well for you, I'm also in your situation, gf in chengdu, in a dilemma whether to apply extension there when I arrive or apply in sg first then go there and extend. I worry if I arrive there, then apply but gets rejected. That'll mean my max stay is 15 day visa free. Fumbling now.
Jul 11, 2016 03:06
  • JADEDADA
No need to spend so much on a visa extension. We have helped some friends for visa extension. Normally you need passport, visa photo, temporary residence form. And it is better you have a company letter to prove for you. If not, you had better have a clear schedule. You can talk with us about visa extension. Whatsapp +8613570426968
Post a Reply to: Getting (or extending) a 30+ day tourist visa?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code