Menu
Dialect Spoken in Chengdu
Apr 13, 2004 16:03
  • JESS
I've got a question:
I've been offered a pretty good job to teach English in Sichuan Province, Chengdu. One of my main reasons traveling to China is to practice my Mandarin fluency. Do they speak Mandarin or a very similar type dialect in Chengdu? Any input would be appreciated. Also, what is the typical cost of living in Chengdu ie, food, general entertainment/travel?

Thanks
Apr 13, 2004 16:04
  • NIHAOCINA02
Hi there, I am from Sichuan. and we generally speak Sichuan dialect in daily life.
Things are cheaper than those in Beijing, Shanghai,or Gunangzhou of course.
If you need further Info, why not try to reach me at
yahoo.com|julystone182
Ciao
May 18, 2004 23:29
  • STEF
i am a student studying in chengdu.well,it is true that the dialect is different from mandarin,but some words are funny,too.
the everyday cost is low,with good use of your money,you can enjoy the food,and travel around.
any other help? touch me:hotmail.com|damon924
May 23, 2004 02:08
  • SKYTOUCHER
Hi friend, I am local people of Chengdu.
Chengdu dialect has a differient pronunciation from mandarin. But it is not a big problem, trust me, for most Chengdu citizenz can speak mandarin, especially speak with foreigner, and Chengdu dialect belongs to North Chinese Phylum,much similar to mandarin and easy understandable.
CHengdu is a good place and have so many high level universities and middle schools , you will find a lot of students can speak very fluent English no saying Mandarin.
Chengdu need english teachers as you, of course you can get chances to practise your Chinese.
The living expense is just half of Beijing and Shanghai, and I'll recommend Chengdu food, very delicious(The top of Four Most Famous Chinese food) and cheap. You will like it.
Any more help you can contact me with this E-mail Address: ustc.edu|cr_sky
Post a Reply to: Dialect Spoken in Chengdu
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code