Menu
Is it easy to travel low budget in China?
Jun 13, 2005 19:27
  • RAPHAELLA

I am due to be coming to China for three weeks in august, spending some time in Shanghai but travelling all over. I am from the UK and have heard that Shanghai prices are comparable to London (expensive) - but what about the rest of China? I will be on a very low budget. Any advice??
Jun 13, 2005 20:13
  • GAZ07
I don't think it's comparatable to London at all, a big mac meal in Shanghai is $2.50US whereas in London it's $8US. Shanghai and China can be as expensive as you want them to be....

Travelling around china on a hard seat train, staying in hostel dorm accomodation, and eating in the cheaper restaurants will all keep the cost down (i'm spending about $25US/day). Attraction prices can be expensive, so get an idea of the "must-see" places before you go.

Oh and one more thing, try not to do too many places. I'm guilty of this to be honest. Better to see a few places properly than rush through places like Beijing, Xi'an and Shanghai in 2 days or whatever.

Hope this helps.
Jun 13, 2005 21:12
  • ELCABRON
Yes, China is made for budget travelling. GAZ is totally right.
For example a 6000km trip by train most of the time (but also ship and bus) was less than 70 EUR or 46 Pounds....
Accomodation in Hostels cost 2 - 3 Pounds, city busrides 6 - 13 Pence, an interesting meal or snack in a streetkitchen starts at 20 Pence....

Shanghai is right after HK the most expensive city in China. But still bloody cheap compared to London. A good hostel right at the Bund charges 4 Pounds, I think it is still cheaper than the Generator in London.

You can keep it cheap if you want, on the other hand you can take luxury hotels, so there is offering for every taste!
Have fun!
Jun 13, 2005 21:53
  • RAPHAELLA

Thank you! That has really reassured me - my sources suck!!!
Post a Reply to: Is it easy to travel low budget in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code