Menu
Visa Free Shanghai visit from a Celebrity Cruise Ship
Jun 1, 2016 20:04
guest68186 I am cruising on the Celebrity Millennium 16October16-30October 16.I have heard that Shanghai will allow cruise passengers a one day visit visa free. We begin the cruise in Yokohama, Japan. After our 10 hour stop in Shanghai our next port is Okinawa, Japan. Is it true we will not need to have a China Visa?
Here are the ports on our itinerary:
Yokohama, Japan
Shimizu, Japan
Kobe, Japan
Shanghai (Baoshan), China
Okinawa, Japan
Taipei (Keelung), Taiwan
Hong Kong, China
Jun 6, 2016 06:38
GUEST46251 I shall be on the same trip.
I have just seen this recent post on gov.uk Foreign Travel Advice, China.

Summary

Still current at:
6 June 2016
Updated:
25 May 2016
Latest update:

Entry requirements section – if you’re transiting through ports in Shanghai, Zhejiang Province or Jiangsu Province, and travelling on to a third country within 144 hours, you can now enter China visa-free; you must be staying in Shanghai municipality, Zhejiang Province or Jiangsu Province, and have evidence of your onward journey to a third country within 144 hours of arrival

I'm not sure if this means no visa is required. I tried to email the Chinese embassy for clarification but the email address they give was rejected and the message returned. I then emailed the F&C Office Travel Advice Team and ha an auto reply saying they do not reply to questions about visas (not much help there!). I have now emailed my travel agent and await their reply. Perhaps you could try Celebrity and get back to me.
Jun 7, 2016 07:53
GUEST46251 OK, the visa free arrangement is for people travelling from one country to another via China. The cruise is going from Japan (Nagasaki) to China (Shanghai) and then back to Japan (Okinawa). Therefor, as I understand it, you will need a visa for the day in Shanghai. If the ship was going from Shanghai to Taiwan (for example) you would not need a visa. I stress that this is my opinion as I cannot get a straight answer from anyone. My travel agent says they are not qualified to advise me and that I should contact the Chinese embassy (round and round we go).

Aug 11, 2016 02:59
GUEST44164 Going on same cruise 16th October from Toyko and have, after huge numbers of phone calls, at last had an email from Celebrity Guest Services confirming 144 hr exemption will apply so no need for visa!
Aug 13, 2016 11:56
GUEST88224 Hi Guest44164

I am also going on the same cruise, do you have the email address for Celebrity Guest Services. I would like the same email. Seems so much money for a visa, for less than a 24 stay.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hope to see you on the ship, we are from nr Oxford.
Aug 14, 2016 16:10
GUEST08195 David Molloy
Guest Support Unit Coordinator
Celebrity Cruises
3 The Heights I Brooklands I Weybridge I Surrey I KT13 0NY
T: 0844 493 2092
CelebrityCruises.com|CustomerServiceUK

Let us know how you get on. Please feel free to email us on aol.com|tbarnesdellwood. I can send you a copy of the email we got. Tina
Aug 25, 2016 03:30
GUEST32103 Hi, the saga continues.

We have had numerous calls with Celebrity to which they always start on about being ok due to the 144 hour policy, which is incorrect as we do not go to a 3rd country. I have asked would Celebrity stop us boarding the ship in Tokyo - they have confirmed they would not stop us boarding as it is our responsibility to have a visa. I have also spoken to Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection who have advised, if we remain on the ship we can use the 24 hour transit visa - so no visa is required.

With this information, we have decided we will not get a visa £350.00 for 16 hours is expensive, plus we were there 2 years ago.
Post a Reply to: Visa Free Shanghai visit from a Celebrity Cruise Ship
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code