Menu
If in China on F visa, can I take spouse and kids
Jun 26, 2016 21:34
guest85254 Can't seem to find a clear answer on this! If I go to China on an F visa, can my spouse and children join me for a year or more? My spouse would not be working just looking after me and kids.
Jun 27, 2016 04:38
GUEST40882 I'm afraid they cannot join you for that longer. Only if you are on the Z visa or X1 visa, they can join you. And I was wondering how can you stay in China for a year with an F type? It's nearly impossible.
Jul 3, 2016 11:05
GUEST33210 To stay that long, your spouse and children will need the correct visa status based on your correct visa status. Their correct visa status would be S1 visas which are for accompanying family members (nonworking). The S1 will allow them entry and then will be converted to Residence Permits, which functions as a multiple-entry visa, typically for one year, without a duration of stay limit in the interim.

Here's the rub. Their ability to apply for an S1 is contingent on your status. Normally S1's are for family members of somebody who is on long term work (Z1) or study (X1) status. The primary family member with the Z1 or X1 will get converted to a Residence Permit after arrival in China. As will the accompanying family members on their S1's. Under the new Immigration law, I have not heard of anybody with an F being able to get the paperwork necessary to bring over family members on S1's. That doesn't mean it isn't possible. But F's themselves are now usually not being given for a year. I have a feeling you are an academic, since that's now the main category covered by an F (for academic or cultural exchange) but it's usually intended to be shorter-term. If you are going to be doing something that is construed as "work" for a year or more, it's curious that you aren't being told to get a Z visa which is the appropriate one for employment.

The answers you seek lie with whatever organization is sponsoring you for an F. If you are going to be in China for a year or more, you should first query them as to whether a Z is more appropriate (there is a lot more hassle for you and hassle/cost for them with a Z vs an F, so they will have a disincentive for the Z right off the bat). Then your next question should be whether they will issue appropriate paperwork to have your spouse and kids apply for S1 visas. No way right now to predict their answers to these.

You need to get your own visa status clarified first. If your F is going to be issued up to the maximum limit (1 year multiple entry with up to 180 days per stay), then you'll have limitations yourself. And it probably means that your spouse/children will just have to get tourist visas and keep leaving then re-entering China. This can get very expensive, especially if you are from a country that cannot get long term (12 months+ multiple entry) visas and have to keep leaving and getting new visas. Add to the expense if your location is not near a convenient border like Hong Kong/Macau.
Jul 11, 2016 03:03
  • JADEDADA
How long is your F visa? F visa is for short time not for long time.
Jul 11, 2016 03:42
GUEST49342 Thanks all for the responses. I don't have a visa yet but I now understand what I will need to have family join me. Appreciation.
Jul 25, 2016 01:18
  • BJLEEO
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST85254

Can't seem to find a clear answer on this! If I go to China on an F visa, can my spouse and children join me for a year or more? My spouse would not be working just looking after me and kids.

If your visa is a 1-year (or longer) work visa, you can have your spouse and children join you.
If it is an F visa with a limited duration of each stay, it makes NO sense. Your spouse and children have to leave together with you each 30, 60 (or 90) days.
Jul 25, 2016 05:36
GUEST93119 Thanks
Post a Reply to: If in China on F visa, can I take spouse and kids
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code