Menu
Really not adjusting to the food here
Sep 6, 2016 14:30
guestMichelle Hi everyone!

My name is Michelle and I've recently just moved to Shandan County in the Gansu Province from New Zealand. I've been here for about a month now but I still haven't adjusted to the food as my stomach is constantly in pain.

I've been to a traditional Chinese doctor and received some herbal medicine (which is nowhere near delicious, I can tell you that now!) but I don't think it is as effective. I brought some Western medicine (antibiotics AND probiotics) over, but they didn't work either...

I'm a bit stuck as I'm here for a whole year and I don't want to have an upset stomach for that long! Does anyone have any suggestions? Even if it's as little as "maybe don't wash your dishes with tap water.." that'll be helpful!

Thank you!
Michelle
Sep 6, 2016 22:09
  • INTL_SOURCE
Hi Michelle

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty in adjusting to food in China. Good news is that there are some simple remedies that work for most people.

1. Ideally, eat 2 bananas a day, or at least one (everyday). One in the morning and one in the evening.

2. Eat PLAIN yoghurt (one standard packaged cup) everyday as the last item of the day. If you cannot eat yoghurt separately, eat it right after the last meal.

3. Take fresh ginger (4 slices of maybe 3mm thick, just to give you an idea of the quantity), put it in 2 cups of water and let it simmer until only 1 cup remains. Add a touch of sugar (per your taste) and a pinch of salt. Slowly drink this tea as the last item of the day.

4. Take about 3 to 4 fresh mint leaves, add half a teaspoon of fennel seeds and one small cardomom. Add 2 cups of water and let it simmer until 1 cup is remaining. Slowly drink this tea as the last item of the day.

Notes:
a) As you are staying in China for a long time, growing your own mint is extremely easy in pots.
b) Fennel seeds are available in the super markets, or you can order on Taobao along with cardamom.
c) Use any one method or any combination that you are comfortable with.

I personally use these methods (when needed) and the large number of people that I have suggested to, have benefited from these over the years.

Hope this helps.

Sep 7, 2016 00:50
GUESTMICHELLE Hi there - wonderful. Absolutely great, thank you for those simple, yet effective, remedies! I will make my way to the supermarket this evening!

Cheers
Michelle
Post a Reply to: Really not adjusting to the food here
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code