Menu
Divorce by Mutual Agreement in China
Sep 11, 2016 08:29
  • LAODING
I got divorced two days ago Friday by mutual agreement. I am a U.S. citizen, my ex-wife Chinese. Things just never worked out between us from the start. Anyway, in case someone is looking for info:

10,000 RMB transfer was noted on the application and receipt was verified (we agreed on this amount, but it could be no money or much more, depending on the couple). We married on my old passport number and I forgot to bring it, but I did have a copy in my laptop along with my new passport. It was no problem.

You can get a divorce by mutual agreement if you're a foreigner, but you must do it at the place you married. However, some prefectures may allow it even if the marriage was registered elsewhere. You need:
-passport
-marriage book
-two photos (though they retook my photo so they could include my passport number.
You must come into the office together and fill out the divorce form jointly. It took us about one hour and cost 40 RMB. You will get a 'Divorce Book' (my translation) which is a summary of the jointly filed application submitted by the estranged couple. There is a lot of signing and thumb stamping of the documents, and finally you both receive a red booklet with your photo stating you have divorced, along with voided Marriage Booklet.

And that's about it. I know it's not a happy post, but it's important to know just in case. I was very worried about court.
Oct 30, 2016 23:17
  • LONGLIFE
I think that after two years of no show and no connection with your ex wife will entitle her to just ask for the marriage to be canceled.

May I ask what was the thing that made you both marry?
Post a Reply to: Divorce by Mutual Agreement in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code