Menu
Travel to Huangshan, Nanjing & Xian??
Jun 30, 2005 04:31
  • BPEARL
I will be traveling to China for the first time & staying with a friend in Shanghai for about a week. Then I will have 2 free weeks before I must again return to Shanghai.
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to travel? I will probably take a day trip to Suzhou while with my friend in Shanghai.
I was thinking of perhaps traveling to Nanjing, Huangshan, & Xian... Should I figure out where I will be on what days in order to book hostels in advance?? Does anyone know how far in advance train tickets may be purchased? I was hoping that my friend can purchase them for me while in Shanghai, but I will be then be traveling for 2 wks & do not know if the train tickets will expire.
Any advice/comments/suggestions are much appreciated!!
Jul 1, 2005 10:29
  • ICERAIN

for the accommodation you don't have to book in advance unless you are traveling in peak season. If you will travel in July and August, that's no problem to find a nice hotel room. but you can still try the online hotel booking service, seems they always offer good rates

In China, people usually buy train tickets 3-7 days in advance, so one thing to bear in mind is that once you get to a place, the first thing is to buy the train tickets for your next destination.
Jul 2, 2005 07:50
  • BPEARL
Thanks for the advice! Do you know how far ahead I can buy train tickets? For example I am planning on buying my train tickets to Xian upon arrival in Shanghai. Then I will take the train from Nanjing to Huangshan. The last leg of my trip will be from Huangshan to Shanghai. This will be approximately 2 weeks after I initially leave Shanghai. Will I be able to buy all train tickets for all the legs of my trip when I am initially in Shanghai? Hope this isn't too confusing to understand...
Also, do the train stations have foreign desks or anything like that?
Jul 21, 2005 22:42
  • MARTOGLIO
In Shanghai you could buy train ticket 10 days in advance. They also sell return ticket if the other end is the starting station of the train jouney. eg. you can buy train ticket from Huangshan back to Shanghai in Shanghai 10 days before the depature date of the train.

There is no special ticketing counters for foreigners at the train station, but they do have delivery service for some 30 yuan per delivery. I guess they could only take bookings in Chinese though.

Each city has different rules in terms of train ticket. The above rules only apply in Shanghai.

One tipp: the soft sleepers/seats are much better and not too much more expensive than the normal.

If you have two weeks, highly recommend you to go to Beijing.

Nanjing is a one day trip city, Xi'an is 2-3 days, huangshan is 2 days. In beijing you need 7 days, it offers sooooooooo much.
Post a Reply to: Travel to Huangshan, Nanjing & Xian??
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code