Menu
Independent travel vs tours in Lijiang
Jul 1, 2005 12:50
  • SNELVIS
Greetings All,

My wife and I are from Australia and will be in Lijiang for about 3 days (20th - 22nd of July) and were wondering whether we are best seeing the sights independently or doing tours. From what we can tell, we are pretty keen on covering the old town, black dragon pool and spruce meadow. I have a feeling that we would be pushing it to take in Tiger Leaping Gorge as well - unless there are daytrips by bus?Normally we like to travel independently but with only a few days in Lijiang we are a little concerned that we may end up wasting valuable time chasing up transport and getting lost.

The only tours I have been able to find online are fairly pricey and are in US dollars. Are there many tours you can just pick up on the day and pay in RMB that are likely to be cheaper.

Any help and tips would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Jul 2, 2005 12:21
  • GAZ07
Hi.

I'm in Lijiang right now. It's a great place. With 3 days I recommend the following...

1. Covering the old town (walking)
2. Shuhe ancient naxi village ( 30mins cycling)
3. Black Dragon Pool park (15mins cycling)

To be honest with you, there is no need for a tour. The best way to get around is by cycling. The furthest of those attractions is the Naxi Village, 30 minutes by bike. You can rent a bike for 15RMB/day in the old town.

Oh, and if you want a great place to stay, i recommend the "Carnation Hotel/guest house" Double room = 40RMB. It's new and the owner is keen to impress. Free internet. Clean room. Warm shower etc etc

Best place i have found to eat is the Prague Cafe, great naxi breakfast, chinese, japanese and local cuisine.

I hope this helps you.
I've no doubt you will enjoy Lijiang.
Jul 2, 2005 13:15
  • PULLTEA
In the case of you want to go out from Lijiang town, to where you can't reach by bike, you may consider to charter a car/jeep. The normal rate is approx. RMB500 per day (with a driver). Talk with the driver a day before the tour. Better go with tourist car/minivan (with a green pinetree logo on it). These cars are registered with YunShan tour company, with insurance covered for passengers.

How to find them? Go to YHA hostel, they can recommend you a good one.( or others?) There are many reception counter for independent travellers in the old town,you have to be very careful.

From what I can see, unless you really want to take your time and spend your lazy day in the Lijiang old town, black dragon pool..or Shuhe, you might want to go out from Lijiang as well. Tiger Leaping Gorge is a good choice.

In fact, you can covering the Lijiang Old town on foot, a good exercise. Black Dragon Pool's Entrance is only 10 minutes walk from the Windmill.

Shuhe is 13 km from Lijiang. Entrance fees to
Shuhe village is RMB30, half of it goes to driver's pocket as an introduction fee. Cycling is an good idea, if you can take a back route to the village.

Most of the double standard rooms in Lijiang old town are between RMB40 - 50 during off peak season. You can always look for a better one. :-)

Wish you a happy holiday.

Jul 6, 2005 16:01
  • GLORINE38
Hello,
I'd like to share some information with to you all. I found one wonderful place in Dali,Yunnan,China.
Thanks God leading me to visit this place, like paradise.
I experienced the amazing trip there.
If you're interested in this place, you can go to this website to see the cabin:
http://tw.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/juanviglori/my_photos

E-mail: yahoo.com.cn|yawen0307

Post a Reply to: Independent travel vs tours in Lijiang
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code