Menu
Houseguests for students on X1 visa
Nov 24, 2016 15:36
guestSarah Barnes Hi All,

I am going to Shanghai for 2 months on an X1 student visa. My boyfriend would like to come and visit me while I am over there and stay with me in my apartment once I find one.

It seems like according to the rules this is not possible. He would come over on a tourist visa. Sue to this he will need to register witin 24h of arrival either via a hotel or at the police station. The rules for registering at a police station seem to state that you must be staying with a Chinese national or a foreigner with a resident permit (that has been in china for 6 months).

By the time he applies for his visa (and arrives in China) it is very unlikely that I will have a received my temporary residents permit. It therefore seems like it is impossible for him to stay with me in China.

Does anyone know a way around this or if I am missing something about the rules?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Wishes,

SB
Nov 24, 2016 19:57
GUEST40882 SB, I think he can register via a hotel first. After you get the residence permit, you two can go to the police station and change the registration. In this case, he can stay with you.
Nov 25, 2016 04:51
GUEST21134 Thanks for your reply.

Ok, so he will have to stay in a hotel until I get my resident permit then? I think it is unlikely that I will have it by the end of the stay.

Seems like we will just have to book a cheap hotel for his stay. Do you know if you are allowed to sleep somewhere other then where you are registered? A in, he can stay at mine while being registered at the hotel?

SB

Nov 25, 2016 19:35
GUEST40882 SB, I think he can stay with you while being registered at the hotel, but you’d better go to the exit and entry administration of the local public security bureau to confirm that and explain the situation by then.
Nov 26, 2016 00:18
GUESTLEO As I know, the police seldom check the place foreigners stayed in China. Your BF can stay in a hotel in first arrival days, resigeter in the police and then move to stay with you. It should not be a big problem.
Nov 26, 2016 03:36
GUEST65143 Ok great, thanks everyone for your replies.

SB
Post a Reply to: Houseguests for students on X1 visa
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code