Working visa for a South African citizen.
Dec 28, 2016 12:43
guestTravis Hi all,

My girlfriend and I have both signed contracts for English teaching jobs in China. We've paid for our apartment and tickets booked for January 2nd. The school we are joining are assisting us with our visa and asked us to come on a holiday visa and they would get us our working visa. They responded today saying the visa office has accepted our qualifications and experience but they don't see my home country (South Africa) as an English first language country. This is incredibly frustrating as English is our first language, we went to English schools and universities and our high school certificates even state English (first language).

I've done some research and Korea and Hong Kong see South Africa as an English first language country, so it is confusing as to why China don't.

What could anyone suggest I do. The school have suggested leaving china every month (going to Hong Kong or Vietnam) to cross the border but this will be time consuming and certainly eat into our savings.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Dec 29, 2016 19:55
GUEST40882 Based on what I know, if one wants to teach English in China, he/she should be native English speaker.
First, you are not advised to work on a holiday visa because it is illegal. You should ask the school to get the work permit and an invitation letter of a duly authorized unit for you at all events. In this case, you can apply for a work Z type to work in China legally. Otherwise, you can find a job from other schools which can help you get the work Z type.
Post a Reply to: Working visa for a South African citizen.
(You can post as a member (login first) or a guest!)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code