Menu
How a child with a British passport a a Chinese parent travel to China?
Feb 26, 2017 09:18
My family are all British now. They refused to give my daughter a visa in the Visa Centre, because my wife did not have permanent residence when our daughter was born: we had been married for 19 months at that time. We were married in the UK. My wife had limited leave to remain.
I am British. Anyway, we were married in Britain and my wife was going to be settled in Britain. She got permanent residence 8 months after our daughter was born. Our daughter has a British passport and a British name.
In the Chinese Consulate, they said that my wife should invent a Chinese name for our daughter.
It is not clear now, if we decide to go through all this process, how will our daughter be able to leave China, if the names are going to be different in her British passport and the Travel document and there will be no British visa in the travel document?
Another problem with this interpretation of Article 5 is: my wife and I are British, if our 10-year-old daughter is stopped in China we will not be able to go to the British Embassy to defend her.
She will be treated in China as a Chinese citizen.
Mar 2, 2017 21:42
  • BJLEEO
Was your daughter born in China? If she was born in China, she was treated as a Chinese citizen. You can go to Public Security Bureau to give up her Chinese citizenship. Dual-citizenship is NOT allowed in China.
You can apply for a China travel permit, with which she can leave China. Next time, when she needs to come back to China again. She can apply for a China visa by using her British passport.
Post a Reply to: How a child with a British passport a a Chinese parent travel to China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code