Menu
Do you need a tour condutor?
Jul 6, 2005 21:08
  • SHIRLEYPOPE
I`m a college student in Shanghai (china)aswe all know, there are many foreign tourists in Shanghai.Some of them wouldn`t like to join any tour party.Firstly,the charge is very high.Secondly,sevice is not suitable for every member.So I guess maybe some foreigners need personal service in the shortest time to see real China.
If you need such service,please contact with me by e-mail.
Jul 7, 2005 15:25
  • MERMAID
Could you give me some idea of Shi Ku Men?

I only know it is typical Shanghai residence and I want to know more about it.
Jul 8, 2005 09:49
  • SHIRLEYPOPE
This Chinese phrase means literally "stone framed doors", the name given to the thousand upon thousands of western-style rowhouses built in the maze of small intersecting lanes which run off the main thoroughfares all over Shanghai. They were erected in the early part of the twentieth century to accommodate the masses of Chinese refugees who fled to western concessions for the law and order and the relative safety they offered. Later they housed other refugees, this time westerners: The Russians fleeing the Russian Revolution and later European Jews fleeing Hitler.
Jul 8, 2005 09:51
  • MERMAID
Thank you for your explanation.

I did not expect such romantic buildings had such stories behind.

I must be influenced by Zhang Ai Ling's novel.

Good luck to you!

Hope you can find someone traveller genuinely interested in Chinese culture and history.
Jul 8, 2005 09:54
  • MERMAID
Could you give some personal impression of the buildings?

Thank you!
Jul 8, 2005 09:58
  • SHIRLEYPOPE
I never live in shi ku men.As a Shanghai native,shi ku men is just home.It is very crowded.Several family share the bathroom,kitchen.It is easy to cause dispute among the neighbours.
Jul 8, 2005 10:43
  • MERMAID
Thank you.

I guess this is the same with si he yuan. By the time it was set up, it was home to the rich and was kept elegant and tidy. Then time changes, the glory was there no more.

Post a Reply to: Do you need a tour condutor?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code