Menu
HELP!!!!!!!!!
Jul 6, 2005 22:01
  • VICKYJONES
I am taking my husband on a suprise visit to china next monday. We are flying into Beijing on monday morning, but are flying home again(from Shanghai) the following tuesday evening. So we only have 7 nights in china.
I am intending to spend 2 nights in Beijing,then fly to Xian,2 nights in Xian,then fly to Shanghai and spend 3 nights there before coming home. It is mainly to see the major tourist attractions?!(great wall,terracotta army ect). Please can someone tell me truthfully wether they think i am being a little too optimistic(bearing in mind i intend to fly us internally and get taxis everywhere!!).Any replies would be gratefully received. thanks vicky
Jul 7, 2005 00:10
Yes, you are a little too optimistic unless you
understand basic chinese for getting taxi everywhere. better check with the hotel and ask
them to provide a "card" or note indicating all the places you are going, otherwise, you will be "lost"(meaning you may pay much more than what
you should pay, do not mention the time lost).
better book one car for whole day tour. each hotel has such a service.price varies up to car type. good luck.
Jul 7, 2005 09:02
  • HAITAO
Hi,
I completly agree with BEIJINGBEIJUN.
If you have prepared well before you come here.
I do think there are many things you should care, including taxi, hotel, credit card and trip lines. So pls feel free if you need more help and advice.
Have a good trip!
Haitao
hotmail.com|boonezhou(MSN available)
Jul 7, 2005 13:30
  • HKFOOEY
I am an Aussie living in Beijing. I think you should be okay - exhausted by the end, but that's part of it right. As the others said you might have difficulty doing it independently only because of the language barrier in taxis, everywhere else most people speak enough to get by. You might wanna by a phrasebook. But grab a hotel card from reception, on the back should be all the major sites in Beijing plus the airport, in Chinese characters so you can just show it to the taxi driver, or ask someone in the hotel to write down on a piece of paper the places you intend to go if not on the card. Depending on your budget and physical condition I highly recommend spending a day walking the Great Wall from Jinshanling to Simatai - for an authentic wall experience anyway. Check out CNAdventure's website - www.cnadventure.com for details of their one day trek for very cheap, and they don't take you on any sidetrips, however it is a very long day. I think hiring a taxi for the day to go there and back costs is supposed to cost around 400yuan. We are going to Xi'an in a couple of weeks and there is supposed to be a green public bus 306 and 307 that you can catch to and from the Terracotta Warriors which is located near the central railway station, a return ticket is supposed to be 8yuan. By travelling this way rather than with a tour group you avoid being taken to extra sights that aren't so interesting - more tourist traps, and you don't waste time, leaving you more time to do as you please. Mt Huashan is also about 1 1/2-2 hours out of Xi'an and we have booked a taxi for the day for 700yuan (maybe a little pricey) but he will take us there and back, and wait for the entire day. Check out www.taxitour.com you can arrange car hire through Clarence Guo. Anyway hope that helps, have fun!
Jul 8, 2005 00:47
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi I agree with the other Ozzie. Sounds like you have the budget to splerge on hiring a car with a driver and it's certainly the most convenient way to go. Just to give you some idea of the difference in costs though.
We recently hired a car for a day and a half with accommodation thrown in for just Y400 but this was no major city and the hotel was only 1 star but we did what we wanted and so much more and had a great time in half the time it would have taken to do it in public transport. Have fun!!!!!!!!!! It's very doable.
Post a Reply to: HELP!!!!!!!!!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code