Menu
Day trips or very short trips on the river Yangtze?
Jul 10, 2005 18:41
  • PHILOSOPHER
Hi,

I'd like to spend some time on the Yangtze river in the Yichang area, but I cannot find any information on day trips or overnight trips. I don't have time for a full cruise and I can't afford anything too expensive as an academic.

Thanks for any info!

Philosopher
Jul 19, 2005 12:26
  • CATHERINE
Hi Philosopher :)

You may find many agencies sell day trips to Yangtze River or to the Three Gorges Dam upon your arrival in Yichang.

While be advised that the day trip ship will be not in such good condition as you expected.
Jul 21, 2005 01:28
  • JABAROOTOO
Reccommend vsiting the Shennong Stream. It starts at Mt.Shennong Jia in Hubei Province north of the Yangtze. It comprises of Parrot Gorge and Dragon Boat Gorge each, with breathtaking scenery. Sailing through the treacherous gorges with lush pine lined shores and translucent water, visitors can see spectacular sights like ancient plank roads, ancient cave coffins, caves, a rainbow fountain and rare animals like macaques and mandarin ducks. It is also a perfect way to experience the culture of the Tujia. Plenty of info online
Sep 18, 2005 22:21
  • GOT2GO
Jabarootoo,

You offer great information. I searched for one day trips to Shennong and was told they are only a part of the 3-4 day tours. Can you possible direct me. I hope to take a bus/train through Yichang and don't have time/money for the big tours. I like the little rafts and boats anyway. Is it a case of I just need to hope to run into someone who offers it while I am in Yichang?

Thank you.
Sep 19, 2005 00:03
  • JABAROOTOO
Gotogo,
Unfortunately I haven't been able to do the Shenlong stream but hear that it is prettier than the lessor three gorges and you can take a Peaboat or bamboo raft.

I haven't done this yet but you can take the fast boat(Hydrofoil) from Yichang to Badong on the south bank of the river which is the town where the Shenlong stream joins the Yangtse. After next week I hope to have the sailing times and will post them on Travel tips.

Wish I could give you more but we just came up to Badong from the south and had we not had people in Wuxi on the Danning River (Lessor three gorges Wushan) to visit, we would have gone to Shenlong instead. It was my second trip on the lessor three gorges. If you don't have a lot of time you should take the tour boat up the Danning and back as they run often and only take around 4/5 hours. There are only two local boats each day 7.00am and 10.00 from Wushan or Wuxi and the trip takes 5 hours each way.

Many of these places still have public river transport that the locals use but you will not be told this if you ask in hotels and travel angencies. Where the roads are bad and there is a river there is likely to be a limited river transport system but I have also been told that they do not always let foreigners take these boats and all of us, my Chinese friends included were charged more than twice the 'locals' rate from Wuxi to Wushan Y76.

It sometimes helps if you can travel with a Chinese friend. One that will ask all your questions until you have enough information for you to make a choice.

Let me know if you get to Shenlong and we can help upgrade the sketchy information about this part of the river.
Sep 21, 2005 02:29
  • GOT2GO
Jabarootoo,

As always, thank you. Great information. That sounds like a good day trip. While I am there I will look into Shennong.

I think many people would appreciate some details. Perhaps between the two of us...
May 18, 2010 10:56
GUEST18138 do you know if it would be possible to take a bamboo raft or peaboat from the chongqing area?
May 18, 2010 22:00
  • ELLYSE
No.
Feb 13, 2013 03:54
  • ALLENCARTER
Traveling across the world is one dream that everyone has; whether one does that in their young age or old is not a concern. The epitome in travel luxury is to take a cruise and what better than to go for an unexplored luxury trip like the Yangtze River Cruise.

Apr 8, 2014 06:51
GUEST55238 Hello,

I have searched through many websites for any day trips on the Yangtze, I was unable to find any over night ones either. I don't mind where they leave from.
Can anyone point me in the right direction with some advise please.

Thankyou
Apr 8, 2014 21:10
GUEST8984
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST55238

Hello,

I have searched through many websites for any day trips on the Yangtze, I was unable to find any over night ones either. I don't mind where they leave from.
Can anyone point me in the right direction with some advise please.

Thankyou

Are you looking for a one-day trip on the Yangtze River? If so, you need to contact some local travel agencies, they might arrange this for you. In fact, you can easily find Yangtze River Cruise on the internet. Most cruises are from Chongqing to Yichang. It takes around 4 days and three nights on the river. This might be appropriate for you.
Post a Reply to: Day trips or very short trips on the river Yangtze?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code