Menu
Visit Yunnan which i will recommond to those who are thinking of going to china
Apr 13, 2004 17:43
  • JENNIE02
Well,just cambe back not long ago from my holidays in china YunnanI had been to lijiang, dali and kunming.

Lijiang is place which you must visit if you are thinking of going to china Yunnan. But however, there is one place in Lijiang which I will recommond not to go. There is a temple call Yufeng Temple which is situated in dense forest at the southern foot of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, some 11 kilometers (7 miles) northwest of Lijiang town. This temple cheat tourist money, but the place you have to go and see this camellia tree which happen to be near the temple. However, do remeber not to go the Yufeng Temple.Want to know more about Yunna China, do email me.

Jennie -- hotmail.com|Jennie_ng_5
Apr 13, 2004 17:50
  • PEGGY
Dear Jenny,

My family and I are planning to visit Yunnan from late Dec to Jan 04. What are your recommendations. I would be glad to hear from you. Thank you in advance.
Apr 13, 2004 17:52
  • MARIELLE
i am going there this Nov for say three days. any other places you could recommend have been told to fly into Kunming on to Lijiang for 3 days. Did you go to the TIGER LEAPING GORGE? Do you have to trek to it and is ti worth it. Where else did you tavel to with in the county if you dno't mine me asking. Did you go to Guilin sound a be tourest? tks marielle
Apr 13, 2004 17:55
  • STEVE02
I have been to Yunnan many times and never went to Tiger Leaping Gorge because of better things to do (or so they told me). There is so much to do in Yunnan more interesting like trekking up to the Naxi villages etc. (where the tourists AREN'T) I know a few tour guides in lijiang, if interested email me..hotmail.com|duhast142
Apr 13, 2004 19:56
  • JONNYB
I recently visited Yunan and much enjoyed Dali where we visited Tiger Leaping Gorge and did some pony trekking, Lijiang (a bit twee) but very pretty and Zhongdian (sometimes known as Shangrila) where we visited Hot Springs, the Monastery and sampled Tibetan family life. All excellent.
Apr 14, 2004 09:12
  • CYNTHIAA
To Jonny,

I heard of the trekking in the Tiger Leaping Gorge several times and they said it is a little dangerous. Did you arrange the trekking by yourself or any agents there do it? How long will the trekking take? What should I prepare for it?
I do need the suggestion from a person who has been there.

Thank you

Apr 14, 2004 09:57
  • YAZOO
Tiger Leaping Gorge is very beautiful and I would definitely recommend it. If you're sure you don't go during the rain season, there should be no danger. The trek itself takes about 2 days, you can stay overnight in one of the guesthouses in or around Walnut Grove.
You can definitely do it on your own (take bus from Lijiang to Qiaotou or Daju (each on the other site of Tiger Leaping Gorge). But it's always easier with some travel agency of course. There are enough places in Lijiang who can arrange this for you.
Apr 14, 2004 15:29
  • DIETER
So try to answer a few questions.
PEGGY / Marielle
Going to the north of yunnan in november/december might cause some problems. Roads in general are not in a good condition so e.g. travelling to zhongdian is nearly impossible - which is really a pity ! In general don't travel through north of yunnan on a too tight time schedule. It always might happen some landslides which block the road (happen to us a few times)
TIGER LEAPING GORGE - of course it's worth to see allthough Steve is right: There are lots of other beautiful spots in yunnan...
But one comment on Steve: You wrote sth like "where are no tourists" - sounds funny: Don't forget that YOU also are a tourist ....
It takes about 2 days to do the whole gorge but it's also worth only to hike the first part of it. But take care: after rain it's getting very slippery !

The question if it'S possible to get around on yr own or to hire a guide:
A question everybody has to answer on his own. Of course it's possible to get around on yr own. Sure, if you don't speak any mandarin it takes a little bit longer than in other countries BUT you will be able to manage it. The question is if you feel comfortable with that kind of travelling. Some spots you only can reach with a guide (or hire a taxi, which is common in china and still reasonable) because public transport in the remote areas of yunnan is a little bit poor.
To book such trips is no problem at all. Almost every guesthouse or hotel will offer those trips in the surrounding area (or will recommand a guide)
To sum spots you will need a guide (at least driver),to some spots it will be quite convienient - to many places it's no problem to arrange it on yr own

If you have any further specific questions regarding yunnan - don't hesitate to mail. A friend of us (my wife's chinese)runs a travel agency in yunnan. So if you need any kind of support in advance we can pass his adress.
ENJOY YR TRIP TO YUNNAN
Post a Reply to: Visit Yunnan which i will recommond to those who are thinking of going to china
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code