Menu
Information fo Badain Jaran Desert, Tengger Desert and Kubuqi Desert
Jul 20, 2005 23:52
  • 4PHOTO
Hi,

Planning a trip to Inner Mongolia and would like to visit one of these places - most likely Badain Jaran Desert.

Have been unable to get information on how to get there. Travel period November 05.

My questions :
- Is it possible to visit this area during winter (apart from being very cold)??
- From Lanshou, how should one proceed with travel planning to get to Wuwei or Dunhuang (apparently the point of entry to Badain)?
- In Wuwei or Dunhuang, is it easy to get a guide, camels and camping equipment?
- Any other info welcomed.

Thanks

Michael
Jul 21, 2005 09:41
  • RITA
People described Badain Jaran Desert as "nightmarish" and "an obituary desert". It's not a big deal if you could withstand cold, but what if the snow blocks you from everything? I do not think it is good idea visiting there in winter.

There are regular buses from Lanzhou to Wuwei or Dunhuang.

It is easier to get a guide in Dunhuang than in Wuwei. There are free lance guides, you can contact the concierge of the hotel.

Take care!

Jun 4, 2009 05:09
GUEST20849 November would be very cold. I personally would reccommend the end of September or the beginning of October but, beware, there is a Chinese national holiday the first week of October and it is almost impossible to get train tickets anywhere in the country (and you can't buy more than five days in advance). I travelled by train from Beijing to Zhangye because there is a long distance bus from there to Alashan Youqi (your starting point for entering the desert) and I have contacts in Alashan Youqi who could organise a trip into the desert. There is also a bus from Yinchuan in Ningxia province that passes through Alashan Zuoqi (for the Tengger Desert) and heads to Alashan Youqi. My guide was the brother of the Lama who lives at the Badain Jaran temple in the desert and is very reliable.

NB Travel into the Tengger and Kubuqi deserts is possible but I wouldn't reccommend it unless you speak Chinese. Apart from the Yueliang (Crescent Moon) Lake resort in the Tengger Desert (that organise brief but very "touristy" excursions into the desert), neither of these deserts have really been developed for proper exploration and getting into them (unless, as I mentioned it is at the "resorts" at the edge of the deserts) would be a full scale expedition (not impossible, but beware unreliable guides, drivers and being ripped off).

Avoid the Spring months as this is the sandstorm season. Although the sand storms have generally stopped by May, the temperaure rises very quickly and I would definitely avoid June, July and August as too dangerous.

The Badain Jaran is more spectacular than either the Tengger or Kubuqi deserts (although both are very beautiful) and is one of the most awe-inspiringly beautiful places I have ever seen in my life. If I had to only chose one between them - I would definitely chose the Badain Jaran. It is also safer to travel to. The Tengger and Kubuqi can be explored, but you would need to arrange it properly and be aware of the dangers. NB If you go to the Badain Jaran desert in Autumn, you may also want to go to the nearby Karakoto (Black City) and the beautiful, golden-leaved groves of desert poplars growing amongst the dunes at Erqi Naqi.

NB If travelling into the desert by jeep, be prepared to get very car sick as you roller-coaster over the dunes!!! NB Take walking poles if trekking and be prepared for the cold at night - it is literally freezing at night.
Sep 3, 2009 10:33
  • BOYFROMOZ
hi GUEST20849, I'm hoping to visit the badain jaran desert during these two months.
Are you able to send me contact deails for your guide (the brother of the lama at the desert monastery)?

is it easier to get by public bus to Alashan Youqi from Alashan Zuoqi or from Zhangye? I will be travelling through Gansu so Zhangye is more convenient.

I would also like to visit Kara Khoto, so I will probably have to take a bus back from Ejinaqi. Is there a bus going from here to Jiuquan?

thanks, hope you can help!

Jun 23, 2011 09:18
GUEST68164 I'm hoping to visit the temple in August 2011. Has anyone got anything new on this? Old thread, I know, but worth a shot. Any information would be mucg appreicated.

Cheers,
Ian
Jun 23, 2011 20:38
  • BL2022
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST68164

I'm hoping to visit the temple in August 2011. Has anyone got anything new on this? Old thread, I know, but worth a shot. Any information would be mucg appreicated.

Cheers,
Ian

Which temple do you plan to visit?
Sep 18, 2011 21:50
  • LUCY88
Auctually, the climate in the desert is arid and cold during winter, I Have ever travelled there in May, many lakes there, very beautiful , I took train from Lanzhou to Jinchang(4 hours), Jingchang is the nearest city to the entrance of the desert, just take a car go there, I took camels there, wonderful.
Last edited by LUCY88: Sep 18, 2011 21:52
Sep 19, 2011 01:29
  • JACK87
By the way, trekking in the desert is really an unique experience!
Post a Reply to: Information fo Badain Jaran Desert, Tengger Desert and Kubuqi Desert
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code