Menu
Dialect Differences
Jul 22, 2005 14:05
  • KYLE
From top to Bottom China is HUGE. I imagine that there are big differences in the langauge. Not only with Mandarin and Cantonese, but also between different provinces.
If I was to learn to speak in Yunnan, would I be understood in Beijing?
Jul 22, 2005 14:10
  • MERMAID
It would be difficult.
Jul 22, 2005 14:10
  • RITA
In south China, people from neighbour villages do not understand each other.

If you were to learn Chinese, and what you learnt was Mandarin, you would be understood without problem.
Jul 22, 2005 14:14
  • RITA
Mandarin is the language people (government?) invented to connect the country. Mandarin is not Beijing dialect, it's a combination of dialects of northern provinces.
Jul 22, 2005 14:33
  • CONNY129
I have a roommate who is from Dali ,although we study and live together for almost four years ,I still can't understand her when she talk dialect .So the best way is speaking mandarine :)
Jul 23, 2005 20:33
  • GAZ07
I noticed Xian had a distinctive accent.

Especially when pronouncing the "R" sound in Chinese. "2" (er) and "10" (shi)

Jul 24, 2005 01:45
  • MISHEN
In any part of China, if you learnt to speak "off the street" you'd probably be best understood in the place you picked up the dialect, although some places are closer to the standard than others. Standard Mandarin is Northern Chinese with all the diphthongs taken out - in other words, with clarified vowel sounds - and is taught everywhere in the country. No matter where you were, if you studied Mandarin in a school or from a private teacher, you'd be learning something that could be understood by most of the population of China... a lot of people!
Post a Reply to: Dialect Differences
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code