Menu
Help in applying for a visa (from UK)
Apr 14, 2004 01:34
  • RUBSLEY
Hi. My partner is going to be working in Beijing for a little under three months (May to August) and I would like to go with her. She already has her visa sorted through her office, and I'm about to apply for mine, but finding it a bit bewildering. Anybody got any advice about how long I can get, whether multi-entry would work best, or whether it's easy to renew once you're there, and also whether or not I have to go to the Embassy in London to give my stuff in by hand, or if it's possible to mail it in. The website says something about a twenty pound charge for postal service - but I'm not sure whether this means for them to post it to you or what. Anybody who's been through this and wants to help would really make my day!

Cheers,
Rory
Apr 14, 2004 08:50
  • ANGEL
Hi,
Mutil-entry is needed when you have to enter and exit one country for several times. Once you are in a country, you can renew your visa upon its expire. For the first time application you can mail your stuff to them but meanwhile you have to go for it in person or ask another person to do it for you. Visit this page for more.

Hope it helps

Angel
Apr 14, 2004 10:19
  • DAISY
Hi, RUBSLEY!
If you will go to China for business as your friend, I think you should apply the Business Visa (Visa F).
If you want to renew, I don't think you should go back to UK for that. You can directly go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China and consult the Consulate Office.
Apr 14, 2004 17:38
  • RUBSLEY
Thanks for your advice. I'm not going on business, just to be there with her. Hopefully I can get a ninety-day visa, but it sounds like renewing them once you're there isn't too difficult. My only worry was that they were going to want to see a plane ticket or itinerary before I got the visa, which would seem to make it tricky if they then decided not to give me as long as I wanted, but I've since read they don't do this that often. Anyway, I'm sending it off today, and hope all goes well!

Thanks again!
Rory
Apr 14, 2004 23:51
  • RUBSLEY
PS I would especially like to hear from anyone who had applied for a Chinese tourist visa through the embassy in London, and whether or not it would be better for me to go there and do it in person, what the protocol was, if there was anyway to help secure a longer duration, etcetera.

Thanks again!
Apr 16, 2004 20:06
  • TAIZONG
It looks as though you have visited the Embassy's web site. Depending on how far you are from London I would suggest that you telephone if a personal visit would be difficult.

It is always best to call in person as you can be certain of getting all the answers you need to you questions.

I am sure you will find the Embassy staff very helpful no matter how you speak with them.
Apr 19, 2004 14:03
  • ANNA
Visa forms are available for download from the embassy at www.chinese-embassy.org.uk. In general, you need to apply for a visa either by post or in person at the Chinese embassy (31 Portland Place, London. Tel. 090 0188 0808) before you leave. If you go in person, which is more reliable than by post and cheaper, get there at 8.40 a.m. and not a moment later, otherwise you will spend hours in the queue.

The embassy is only open in the mornings, and a completed form, a passport photo and your passport with a blank page in it are required. You can normally collect your passport after three days, but if you pay £15 extra, you can pick it up the same day.

Apr 19, 2004 19:10
  • RUBSLEY
Thank you! That's perfect! So I was right in thinking that they charge you twenty pounds to receive your documents by post? In person it is then!

Cheers,
Rory
May 18, 2004 04:27
  • JAYA
Call this number (01628666001)and you can get a tourist visa in 24 hours. Be prepared to pay up £100 sterling. Multiple entry is fine if you are planning to leave China and come back, like going to hong kong for the weekend.
Post a Reply to: Help in applying for a visa (from UK)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code