Menu
When you first came to China, what surprised you most?
Aug 15, 2017 22:26
  • LAUGH
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 8 vote(s)
  2. 17 vote(s)
  3. 6 vote(s)
  4. 30 vote(s)
  5. 18 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
In my first visit to China in 2016, what surprised me most were the numerous time-honored historical relics, especially in ancient cities like Beijing and Xian. Anywhere you go, you may find a temple, a palace, a lane or even a brick with a history of over thousand years. During my stay in Xian, I paid a visit to the Terracotta Warriors, which were unbelievably exquisite and lifelike. For history enthusiasts, China was really a paradise.

Besides historical relics, the convenient transportation was also impressive. I had the experience of taking the reputed high speed trains when travelling between Shanghai and surrounding Suzhou and Hangzhou. It was quite convenient and cheap to shuttle between the cities.

Fellow travelers, what surprised or impressed you most in your China visit? Your experiences are welcoming.
Aug 17, 2017 00:28
GUEST33117 That is a real experience!

1/ The noise! The minute you arrive in Beijing, you hear people yelling at each other - No worries, they are just speaking, as you may know, the mandarin uses tons so makes you think that they are yelling in some cases but it's not the case! (Of course China is also a deliciously calm and peaceful country when you know where to go!)

2/ The huge roads and infrastructure! Even more when you're from Europe, you'll be flabbergasted by the 8-lanes highways every two blocks, the skyscrapers and the parks. Everything is 10x the normal size.

3/ The people's behaviour! That is a huge topic and I won't give you all the anecdotes about some cultural differences in the daily life. But you have to experiment the pleasure of taking the subway, navigating in the crowd and being pushed in the train. But also eating with chinese people is definetely a great experience, the codes and routines are so surprising that lots of foreigners feel bad and say that Chinese are "rude", "dirty", etc, but in fact it is just a cultural difference: that's so interesting!
Aug 21, 2017 00:21
  • JOHNEXPLO
I was surprised by the kindness and generosity of the Chinese people. This is my second trip in a year; total stay so far has been five months. I left but had to come back because China is, well, China. I mostly visit smaller city's in which few foreign travelers ever go so I stand out in a crowd. I am now in Wuhu looking for a teaching job and plan to visit or work here for a long time. BTW: I have visited 18 countries and find China the most friendly and most interesting.

Aug 30, 2017 03:57
GUEST52221 i go to china
Apr 22, 2018 05:52
  • ATTA_BUTT
I saw Beautiful sceneries in Beijing and Baotou.
Post a Reply to: When you first came to China, what surprised you most?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code