Menu
Advice for an "Expat" maving to Sanya, Hainan
Jun 25, 2018 00:32
guest58232 Hi all,

So I have accepted a teaching position in at a school located near Sanya Bay. I'm a native English speaker and I've lived in China (Beijing) before, but I have a very minimal grasp of Mandarin and can't say I'm entirely accustomed to Chinese culture. However, I have encountered most of the difficulties and shady stuff that "expats" encounter e.g. language barrier, scams, dodgy agents etc.

I have three main concerns/inquiries that I've listed below, but if there's any general advice or suggestions you could provide me that'd be great.

1. What's an average cost for an apartment now per month...in and around Sanya Bay as I'd prefer not having a long commute to work? (Single guy, I don't need a whole lot of space but I like to cook and I prefer a non studio style apartment with modern western amenities. Also I have an financial arrangement with the school to lease an apartment for 12months so the cost doesn't change during the peak holiday season).

2. What's the best method of transportation?..and is it possible to buy a used scooter or motorbike? (I've heard taxi drivers there can be shady and I'll most likely use DiDi on weekends).

3. What would be a rough monthly estimate of cost of living in CNY? (Excluding rent, I prefer to eat at home, and drink and dine out mainly on weekends).

Thanks.
Post a Reply to: Advice for an "Expat" maving to Sanya, Hainan
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code