Menu
Where does the China tourism head?
Aug 4, 2005 10:10
  • RITA
1, Have you ever joined in a tailored tour program without being forced or purposely guided to overpriced tourist shops?

2, The so called tourist restaurants near all the major sightseeing spots offer the same or similar dishes, tomato with egg is delicious only before you tried for a thousand times。

3, Chinglish is not a language.

4, Tourists from foreign countries are becoming the new targets for begging.

5, Writing or engraving the names of themselves or their loved ones' on old temples, walls etc could not possibly at all ensure the everlasting love, but they may surely be the prove of destroying the only tracks of history

6, Over-commercialized.

7, The unduly competitions drive the price high and quality low.

Any more problems?
Aug 8, 2005 19:52
  • BACKPACKER35
Yep, i know what you mean, but it's the same with the tourism sector, Have you seen how they can destroy a nice city, take Yangshuo, before there where a few hotel and a few nice bars. Mostly backpackers and chinees tourists. Now there a many hotels and many bars, the little shops in West Street are almost al gone because the have to pay to much (Chinees Bank) and they build a New West Street. All the Chinees people who are coming by boat are now going to the new street by golf cars, but the people in the old West Street do have to live also. But this is the way to destroy a nice city, it's a shame, also now backpackers are going to an other city because it's to much and to much noise. Hope they will learn from it.
Aug 13, 2005 15:57
  • MISHEN
They call it "Death by Lonely Planet" - the worst thing that can happen to a beautiful place is that it gets published in the LP, and then a million people come drop rubbish there...

Must admit, though, many locals do appreciate the business.
Aug 28, 2005 12:34
  • JABAROOTOO
Do you seriously beleive it is the impact of foreigners who are doing the damage!!!!!!! Ever been to a place like FengHuang in Hunan. It's real big on the Chinese organised tours list and I saw one other foreign in two days. In fact we never saw another foreigner in nearly two weeks in this region. It's a small ancient walled city with character and been groomed for tourists over the past three years. Little inaccessable still but I'd hate to see it in another five. And no it's not yet in the lonely planet but the Chinese don't read that anyway !!!!!!!!! at least I'm not aware there is a Mandarin version of it out yet.
Aug 28, 2005 14:56
  • ELCABRON
Good point, Jabaroo;-)

May 30, 2007 12:40
  • JHALLUCINE
No Mandarin version of LP? I thought I just saw one the other day...could be an unauthorized translation thingie. and then again this is 2007, who knows, once the Chinese got wind of an opportunity for good business they catch up fast.
May 30, 2007 21:04
  • KATRINA
Of course, there are Mandarin version of LP. They were published in August 2006. But the pubished ones are about Germany, Australia and Europe. Also a Chinese version of the website exists. http://www.lonelyplanet.com.cn/.
May 30, 2007 23:59
  • GRIZ326
It is the way of capitalism to domestic adventure.
May 31, 2007 00:39
  • JHALLUCINE
=D well put, Griz.

But then again--is there a communist (or feudalist or any other) approach at all? lol.
May 31, 2007 11:35
  • GRIZ326
Modern China is more capitalistic than communist or feudalist. Certainly you can see historic remnants of both and we know the government is officially a communist government; but China's current version of communism bears no resemblance to communism in China in 1978.

China is now an evolving hybrid government that pays homage to the positive changes started by Mao, but it is not a communist state in the old sense.
May 31, 2007 20:02
  • TRAVELDREAM
Communism seems a Utopia~~~
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Where does the China tourism head?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code