Menu
what to do in Shenzhen?
Apr 14, 2004 15:47
  • BETH
Hello,

I will be traveling to Shenzhen with my husband in October. He has business for 3 days and I wonder what a woman alone can do?

Also, we would like to travel to Hong Kong for at least 1 day. Is it possible to see anything in 1 day? How long is the trip? I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Apr 14, 2004 15:48
  • BONITA
In my opinion, Splendid China is the site you should visit in Shenzhen. It is the world's largest miniature scenic Area. Then an excursion to China Folk Culture Villages is necessary, which is near to the Splendid China. The village is a museum of China's 55 ethnic minority groups with their distinctive architecture, friendly customs and exotic flavor.

Travelling to Hong Kong, i suggest you'd better book tour with a travel agency. Even you have one day only, you could be arranged to see almost all main
sightseeings in HongKong.
Apr 14, 2004 15:51
  • EASTEFEN

Hi,

My husband would probably be working in Shenzhen for 10 months starting this year. I will (with my 2 young children) be accompanying him there. However, we would like to stay in Hong Kong for the period of his employment. I read somewhere that HK is only 30 minutes away by train from Shenzhen. Is this true? If so, how convenient would it be for my husband to commute everyday from Shenzhen to HK and vice versa?

Thanks for your advice!
Apr 14, 2004 15:54
  • JOANNA2
Hi,
Shenzhen is more like 0ne hour from Shenzhen plus the time to cross the border which can be a long time in rush hour maybe not a good idea to live in H.K just out side of Shenzhen by the sea is a complex where many Europeans live maybe you should look into this before you decide good luck I have been living in China for 1 1/2 years and have a very good standard of living

My husband would probably be working in Shenzhen for 10 months starting this year
Jul 21, 2004 15:31
  • STARIRAI
Hi Beth,

I would suggest that you and your family stay in shenzhen instead, as the cost of living in HK is about four to five times higher than Shenzhen. I am a Filipina working in Shenzhen and I have friends in Hong Kong I visit only every month or twice every three months because of the hassle of crossing the border (which is jampacked during rush hour as there are many Hong Kong nationals working in Shenzhen) and there are also a lot of foreigners who rush to HK.

I have not been to many places here, but I have seen a lot of must-see locations that I am sure you will enjoy visiting over and over again such as the Dapeng Fortress, the beach in the east coast (where you can find fresh seafoods, yum-yum) and Splendid China and Windows of the World in the west.

From my experience, two people dining in Hong Kong could easily spend anywhere between HK$50 to HK$100 each. in shenzhen, 50yuan can get you more than one meal, maybe two or three.

but going to HK occasionally would be best if you want a little excitement more than what Shenzhen can offer. ;)
hope you enjoy your stay here as much as i do.
Post a Reply to: what to do in Shenzhen?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code