Menu
Cost of living.
Apr 14, 2004 15:56
  • SEAN2

I am currently an American student about to graduate with an education degree. I would love to teach in China for a year but I know very little about the modern district of Shenzhen. I would be payed a little over 400 US dollars a month and be provided with free housing. I don't plan on traveling too much but I tend to enjoy eating more than my wallet sometimes allows.
Is there anyone who has visited or lived in Shenzhen that would be able to paint a more accurate picture of what this city is all about and what the "open up" policy is? Sorry for all the questions but I really know very little and plan to travel in a teaching program by August. Thank you for any help offered.
Apr 14, 2004 15:56
  • BILLIE
Sean,

I just returned from Qindago,China which is about 300 miles south west from beijing. My wife is a Doctor there and she only makes around 200.00 per month and lives very good, so I think you pay will be just fine. You haveto remember that the exchange rate is still 8.75 to one of ours, so you will be doing very well. don't try to look at your pay as you would here in the states, its much different and the cost of living is very cheep compared to ours...

Good Luck,
Apr 14, 2004 15:57
  • SEAN2
thank you for the quick response!
Please feel free to add anything since I really don't know what I am about to get into here! I have never been to California let alone China. I guess I had assumed that teachers all over the world were paid somewhat less than they deserved. I am not looking to make a fortune but living comfortably in regards to feeding myself will be a nice addition to my cultural immersion. Once again thanks and keep the great advice coming!
Apr 14, 2004 15:57
  • JOANNA2
Dear Sean Shenzhen is a very lively place your pay will cover a good standard of living but Shenzhen is more pricey than other parts of southern China. I come from Changping which is 1 hours coach ride from Shenzhen here we have many teachers from Ozzy who enjoy their life very much cost of living much cheaper Good Luck
Post a Reply to: Cost of living.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code