Menu
Dragon Backbone Rice Terrace - Best travel Time?
Apr 14, 2004 16:12
  • 33UK

Hi,

I'm planing a china trip in september this year. One stop should be by the Dragon Backbone Rice Terrace near Longsheng. I will be there around the 20th. september. Could anybody tell me how the rice terraces looks like at that time. Is it close after the harvest and the terraces are full with water? Or is it before the harvest and the Rice is "golden"? Or is the rice fully grown up and green (like in the pictures in the photo gallery)? Did anybody know in which season the pictures in the photo gallery are taken?

Did anybody have a tip what would be the best traveltime for the visit of this rice terraces? If necessary I could chance my travel time.

Thank you for your help!
Apr 14, 2004 16:13
  • AIKO2
The best time to visit the Dragon Backbone Rice Terrace should be in April and May. It's before the harvest time. The rice is fully grown up and green, and sometimes look golden. The pictures in the Photo Gallery are taken at that time. Enjoy your trip!
Apr 14, 2004 16:15
  • ZHANG
are U rice scientist? Maybe you can write to this world famous RICE RESEARCH INSTITUTE of the Philippines (not sure about the exact name) to gather more info about this strain of rice.
Longsheng is at the north of Guangxi, about 60 mountainours km from Guilin, airplane and train do not reach. Longsheng and the nearby Sanjiang county is the area I long to visit. If you will we can join trip. May is a good time.
Apr 14, 2004 16:15
  • KAREN
The pictures were taken in early August. The best time to have the nice picture is from 15th april to 10th May. All the terrace are full of water. In the late afternoon you can have the wonderful pictures when the sunshine reflects on the surface of the water terrace. If you have the picture, Could you please send us for others to view?
Apr 14, 2004 16:16
  • GARD

I will be going to China in December. Is that a good time to visit the rice terraces? What color will it be? Thanks!
Apr 14, 2004 16:18
  • JAME
It depends on what you want to see in the Dragon Backbone Rice Terrace. Spring is the time for peasants to transplant rice seedlings. Autumn is the harvest season. What's more, the snow scenery in Winder days is also a natural tourist drawing card.
Apr 14, 2004 16:19
  • CHENG
I made a trip to Longshen last week (7/9/03 and 8/9/03). You can go there on your own. There is a regular bus service from Guiling and the ticket costs Rmb 13 per head. I suggest that you stay one night at Ping An village with the minority people. Many villagers operate lodging bussiness. There are quite a number of them to choose from. The price is about Rmb 20 per person. They do serve food too. There is even massage service available there. If you stay there, there are two viewing stations. One of them will enable you to see a view described as "seven stars accompanying a moon" and the other would enable you to see "nine dragons with five tigers". Both are just a short hiking trip from the village, you don't need a guide.
If you go there on 20th Sept, it should be quite close to the harvesting time.
It took a few hundred years for the whole project to be completed. Try to observe how the irrigation system works. It is just amazing.

Have a wonderful trip there.

kkcheng
Nov 18, 2004 13:33
  • JAMESJTLIM
I am going to Longsheng in Dec 2004 with my wife. Plse advise me of the weather & time taken to reach there from Guilin. Does the bus stop at the village you mentioned & how far is the village from Longsheng or the rice terrace? Any room with attached toilet?
How do you compare Longsheng with Sanjiang? Any need to visit both places? How best to travel to Sanjiand, any train service?
Regards.
James Lim
Nov 18, 2004 16:19
  • DAISY
Longsheng Terrace is about 100 kilometres north of Guilin.
Take buses from the long-distance bus station in Guilin. There are frequent buses leave from 6.50a.m to 5.20p.m.
The best time for enjoy the enchanting terrace is when it is sluicing every Lunar May 15th (around end of June), which would last for about half a month(20 days or so). 20 days after the Mid-autumn Festival is also good watching time. In addition, the snow capped terrace is also attractive. But the snowing time is unfaxed, according to the weather change.
Jan 19, 2005 02:51
  • DB8X10
I understand that one can take a bus from Guilin to Longshen. I will have a lot of gear with me and will be travelling alone so my concern is whether there are spacing restrictions. There is also mention of a village near the rice fields. If anyone has had any experience at this place would you please let me know. Thank you.
DB
Oct 19, 2009 23:23
  • BMLOIDL
the best time is april / may, water and green ricefields. in autmn they are brown. in winter is often snow there and white fields. you take bus from guilin to longshen. then there take bus to longji and walk 5 hours to dazhai. go back from dazhai to longshen. there is also direct bus at 14.00 from guilin to dazhai. about 3 hours. 40 RMB. Entrance for Yao-Area is 50 RMB.
Last edited by SIVA: Oct 20, 2009 21:28
Post a Reply to: Dragon Backbone Rice Terrace - Best travel Time?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code