Menu
WC = Toilet
Aug 15, 2005 17:31
  • MCHEN
So I just got back from a 2 months trip to China. One thing that is still on my mind is the "WC" sign for toilet. What does WC stand for? I have asked around in China but no one knows. Please help.
Aug 15, 2005 17:33
  • EMMAREEVES
Water Cubicle!
Aug 15, 2005 17:35
  • RITA
water closet
Aug 15, 2005 17:45
  • CONNY129
totally agree with Rita !
Aug 15, 2005 17:48
  • RITA
Though you can't find any water in some "WC" :)
Aug 15, 2005 17:48
  • MCHEN
Thanks a lot. It's been killing me not knowing what it stands for.
Aug 15, 2005 17:55
  • MCHEN
Here's a tough question. What's more important in a WC, water, toilet paper, or doors?
Aug 15, 2005 18:09
  • RITA
Aaaha, is this a quiz?

In China, most public WCs have no toilet paper, some have limited water to wash you hands and some don't; in bigger cities, there are doors for a little privacy.
I just remembered this very funny thing, the water closets in some sight seeing spots have doors nontaller than one meter, that is when you stand, you see outside, people at outside can see you, too, but if you went down, people outside can't see you, if they want to make sure if it was occupied, s/he will look down in. :)

Water closet in star=-rated hotels are better.

PS. is WC outdated name?
Aug 16, 2005 14:29
  • KYLE
Water is the most important. In almost all washrooms in South East Asia (EVEN CAMOBODIA) washrooms have that little gun to spray water with. Its so convient. I havent been able to find one (The correct word is Bedae,(I dont know if thats the correct spelling)) in all of China. They save paper, (save the trees)save time, and save energy. Is that not somthing that everyone wants.
Aug 17, 2005 08:53
  • CROBERTO
WC , the use of them was my great difficulty in my first travel to China. In my country (Brazil), the use is reserved. Some people don’t enter in a WC if there are other peoples there. We feel shamed. In China I perceived how the habits can be different! I liked what I saw. The natural act of our body is made, how it must be: of natural way, without shame. I asked to El Cabron about this, he saw this fact before this discussion and have some pics about (see his pics!!). I took some pics too. Soon late I will uploaded them.
Aug 17, 2005 21:54
  • TERRYSPYYDER
The correct spelling is bidet (pronounced as Be-day)You can read the history of the toilet (previously known as water closet or WC) in this website : www.all-about-toilets.com/history-of-toilets.html
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: WC = Toilet
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code