Menu
Foreigner sharing a room in Wuhan with his Chinese GF, OK?
Aug 19, 2005 01:39
  • YEMMIE
Hey folks,

I'm new to this. It just hit me why no one answered my question before. My titles made it sound like I am looking for a roomate. Not so. I am coming to visit my girlfriend and I wanted to know if there will be any problem if we share a hotel room. Thanks. Sorry to have taken up extra space on this site.
Aug 19, 2005 08:13
  • RITA
I think it's OK to share a hotel room, not an apartment unless you registered in the local public securities.

Make sure that she will check in the hotel together with you with her ID, not good if only you check in.
Aug 19, 2005 08:30
  • CALIFORNIA
Yes,I agree with Rita,pleast use her ID card!!!
Aug 19, 2005 15:43
  • MISHEN
Have to say I disagree on this one - I was travelling with a Chinese female friend once, NOT a gf at all but a FRIEND, and at several places we weren't allowed to stay in the same hotel room, and once were not allowed to even stay in the same hotel, even if we were sleeping in different beds.

In China, it's still illegal for an unmarried couple to share a hotel room. This is only a technicality though, as the practice is as common here as it is anywhere in the world. It's only very rarely that people ask questions. BUT - if you're a Caucasian or black foreigner with a Chinese girl, sometimes people get upset.

Foreigners must register where they are at all times - but as an independent traveller, I confess I've almost never registered. It all seems to be up to whether the staff at reception like you or not as to how many rules they call up.

So there can be problems with this, even though by any reasonable standards there shouldn't. I'd agree to get your partner to check in. Whether you're with her or not is your call. At least if you're refused, you can try somewhere else. If you check in alone and she comes later, she'll be assumed to be your prostitute. If she checks in alone and you come later, it might be ok, but probably you'd be noticed and there'd be a slight risk that the hotel staff would worry about the police discovering an unregistered foreigner in their hotel.

All this advice comes from my own experience. I figure it pays to be careful.
Nov 8, 2005 19:26
  • PINETREE
Yemmie,
I assume that you are a male.
Sharing a room in China with your Chinese gf - it depends on how close you are to her. In Asia, a gf refers to one that is very close - close enough to be intimate with. In the West, it is quite different, I think. A gf can be a casual friend of the female sex.
I think the laws are not that particular about men/women staying in a hotel room together. It is more of whether your Chinese gf would mind. That u have to answer it yourself !!
Nov 8, 2005 19:31
  • PINETREE
On reading Mishen's message, I am quite surprised that unmarried men/women cannot stay int he same hotel room. I thot this was in the past - about 5-10 yrs ago when it was illegal to do so.
I have been travelling to China often and I have been staying with my Chinese gf in the same hotel room/service apartments in cities incl Shanghai, Beijing, Xian, Kunming, GZ - even Urumuqi, etc. There has been no problem at all.
Is Wuhan different from these places, I wonder ??
Mar 10, 2009 01:41
GUEST01176 no problem in china it is commen u can enjoy
Oct 6, 2009 07:59
GUEST93129 hay
found this

think you will like it.
mark

In 2002, a large number os civil laws were either rewritten or created, many of them protecting the rights of women, who have been long neglected. At that time I was dating/living with a Chinese business woman and she brought home a copy of this book that her company had distributed to all its employees.

She was very excited because she began pointing out all the great new laws liberating women. One in particular involved divorce--before hand a woman had to get permission from the neighborhood councilor, their employeer and also get a written and signed statement supporting their petition from their parents! No wonder divorce was so uncommon before hand. Guess what? It went through the roof within six months of publication.

Why I am mentioning this is; some of those laws also applied to outdated laws that governed FORIEGNERS and UNMARRIED couples, mixed or not. And one in particular applied to couples staying in a hotel room together that were unmarried.

The whole deal is; the hotels beforehand could charge extra money on the basis that it was illegal to cohabitate in a hotel room if the two people were not married. Not now! And we put it to the test more than once (she was a fighter, I will give her that much!).

One time in particular in Guangzhou at a Chinese Hotel (I think it was the Ocean Hotel about a block East of the Garden Hotel) we went to check in. When they brought up the "let us see your marriage cert." we said, "No, not married". Then they tried to pull the "Must be married, otherwise she will need a seperate room". She pulled the book out of her bag and began (In Engish mind you) to point out the very laws that regarded this situation. The desk clerk became noticably nervous, and looked at another desk clerk, then called someone on the phone quietly and mumbled in Chinese. Then they put the phone down, without looking up, and said "Sorry to trouble you. You're correct." And then we got the ONE room and all was well.

What I am saying is, wave the damn lawbook under their noses once and awhile. I would bet a small percentage of the Chinese (Or maybe large) don't know about the new laws, or if they do, they are afraid to step out and "go with it" for fear of failure.

Oh, and incidentally, the Ocean Hotel is a PLA hotel, like so many of them (Biayun is the most notorious PLA hotel in the city--THAT'S why someone earlier mentioned the problem there) and you wave a book on LAW in front of a manager of a gov't owned/ran hotel????

God I love China!

May 29, 2010 12:29
GUEST44170 i think no problem in sharing a room
Apr 29, 2012 06:09
  • ATYCOON
I am coming to shanghai during a fair time in May from India and booked a double room in famous luxury hotel on Nanjing Road. Will there be any problem if my secretary/translator who is a Chinese Girl stays with me sharing same room? Will she have to register? She prefer not to do so. Please advice.
May 2, 2012 01:19
GUEST4275
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATYCOON

I am coming to shanghai during a fair time in May from India and booked a double room in famous luxury hotel on Nanjing Road. Will there be any problem if my secretary/translator who is a Chinese Girl stays with me sharing same room? Will she have to register? She prefer not to do so. Please advice.

Why does she have to live with you? Why can't you offer her a separate room?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Foreigner sharing a room in Wuhan with his Chinese GF, OK?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code