Menu
Language Barrier
Aug 25, 2005 06:25
  • SLAVER
How difficult is it to travel around not having any knowledge of the chinese language. Is it possible to travel independently on public transport, to know where a bus/train is heading to, ordering food, buying tickets for buses etc.

I guess in the cities it should be pretty straightforward and in backpacker communities such as Yangshou and Lijang, we should be ok, but elsewhere?

Any advice welcome, or ideas about which phrasebooks to take.

Thanks

simon
Aug 25, 2005 11:37
  • MISHEN
Depends on how good you are at sign language. Yeah, big cities should be alright, there are always people around who speak English. Smaller towns... a challenge. It's hard to get very lost though. A simple phrase book can go a long way. My friends just travelled with Lonely Planet's, and barring some frustrating afternoons, they were never in major trouble.
Aug 25, 2005 12:26
  • ELCABRON
Some misunderstanding is just the salt in the soup of a backpacking trip;-)
It is part of some of my best memories...
But all in all China is very is simple for travelling - despite my bad language skills I always reached my goal sooner or later. Dont worry you will manage that!

Aug 25, 2005 16:09
  • GAZ07
I disagree. There is still a language barrier even in the cities.

I think its a good thing for you to try to pick up some chinese while you are travelling. Just the basics. People will respect you more, you'll make more friends, and you will be less likely to be ripped off in my experience.

The Lonely Planet phrasebook is also super-useful, definately worth the money imo. If you really get stuck you can just point out the chinese symbols in the book.

Have fun!
Gaz
Aug 25, 2005 20:17
  • RITA
I saw some foreigners take a kind of handbook, actually a small dictionary, with English, Chinese translation and the pronunciation of the Chinese word. Sometimes they did not try to pronounce the Chinese word, instead they pointed the word to ask.
Aug 25, 2005 20:24
  • CALIFORNIA
I agree with Elcabron and Gaz,it is also a good memory in your trip!maybe it will waste your time or money!
Yes,Lonely Planet is very very very useful!
Btw,Gaz,I think your chinese trip was very very very enigmatical.
Aug 25, 2005 21:24
  • CONNY129
It's wise if you bring a English-Chinese dictionary with you !
Post a Reply to: Language Barrier
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code